My first try at weathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by mummert, Jul 7, 2007.

1. mummert

mummert Member

First a before picture
    And an after picture
    You will have to take my word for it the wheels and trucks are not as bright as the appear to be in the picture. Also since this picture was taken the inside of the wheels and axles were painted. All opinions welcome.
  2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

not to shabby for your first weathering job :thumb:,heck,its better than my first weathering job :mrgreen: .and remember "practice makes perfect" --josh
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

mummert, i think you did good for your first weathering:thumb: . i was in N scale, and found it harder to weather that scale as opposed to HO.
    heres what i see, i see a very old caboose, badly faded and starting to rust:winki: . only two things i think are worth mentioning, see the journals, where the bearings are on the trucks, that area would have grease leaking out of it, the frames of the trucks could be that rusty, but i would blacken around the bearing covers:winki: . when brushing on paint, or wiping it off, ALWAYS BRUSH/WIPE in DOWNWARD STROKES:winki: , rain would wash dirt, and rust particles from the top down:winki: .

KEEP IT UP!:thumb: i cant wait to see your future weatherings:winki::thumb: .
    :deano: -Deano
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

A good first attempt, mummert, but Dean brings up some valid points. Cabooses were usually pretty well-maintained, and on some roads, crews would be assigned to a particular caboose, so there was usually some "pride of ownership" shown. And the point about the journal boxes brings up another suggestion: on modern cars with roller bearings, the bearing is sealed, so the faces of the wheels are often rusted, whereas a car with solid bearings, like your caboose, had the journal boxes packed with oil-soaked cotton waste, the oil from which easily found its way to the faces of the wheel. This resulted in the wheel face becoming a shiny, oily mess, which quickly attracted dust and dirt from the roadbed, resulting in a grimy looking mess, black, dark grey or brown, but not rusted. Likewise, the truck sideframes pick up a lot of roadbed dirt fairly quickly, and very seldom appear rusted. Some look dusty, or even muddy, but most are just plain grimy.
    I like to use a brush to pick out the spring detail on cast sideframes, after first painting the sideframe a suitably dirty colour. After the springs are done, I follow with some sprays of road dust and dirt.

This one has metal springs, but the procedure is the same:

The trucks shouldn't be too obvious, either, unless you take a closer look: on a hopper, the coal dust makes them even less noticeable:

Some roads, such as the CNR, painted the truck sideframes the same colour as the car, but it didn't take long for them to become covered in dirt. This car represents one only a few months old:

If you have an airbrush, you can subtly weather a car by giving it a very light overspray with a colour the same, or almost the same, as the colour of the car. The paint should be thinned very severely: no more than 10% paint and the balance thinner. This weathering should not be obvious: rather it should just tone-down the contrast between the lettering and the body colour. The car will look used, but not abused. ;)
    Another, less-obvious way to weather your caboose is to add window "glass", to give it a "lived-in" look. You'll need to gain access to the inside of the body shell for this. Evergreen sells clear styrene sheets (.015" thick is suitable). Use styrene cement to attach oversize pieces behind each opening, and use the glue sparingly. Don't use ca, as it will "fog" the windows, and don't use acetate, as it will yellow with age.
    I hope you'll continue to post more pictures of your work as you learn new techniques and develop your own style.

5. mummert

mummert Member

I redid the wheels and trucks and added a little more rust to the body. This car will end up part of an old train yard when I get that completed thats the reason for the old unkept look.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I really like the redone trucks! :thumb: :thumb:

If this is going to be part of an old line of obsolete equipment, you might want to board up (some of) the windows, or add paint patches as well.

Looks good. ;)

7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I think that the re-done trucks are an improvement. :thumb: Andrew's suggestion of covering over some of the windows is a good one, too: cut some sheet styrene (.015" or .020" thick) to fit inside of the outer window frame (so the patch covers all of the window except the outermost frame with the rivets). The caboose pictured below is the same model as your caboose, but with some of the side windows plated over.

If you're planning on not running the caboose (either leaving it parked somewhere on a siding as a derelict, or beside the tracks, as an office or shed) you could also "whiteline" it: often, when prototype railroads take a car out of service, a white line is painted through the car number. You could do this with a brush, or use a piece of stripe from a decal or dry transfer set: no need to cover the number completely, just a line through it.

8. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Now those do look like weathered trucks.
  9. mummert

mummert Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice I'm alot happier with it myself. I just wish I could get a little brighter picture. I cant use the flash or it just whites everything out.
  10. mummert

mummert Member

I finally got this camera figured out and got some better pictures. The way the wheels and trucks look on this now that I fixed it I'm almost embarrased of the first picture. But hey live and learn.

Once again thanks to everyone.
  11. stormfather

stormfather Member

I really like that last pic, those wheels and trucks came together well. Good job
  12. slekjr

slekjr Member

Dear Mummert
    What a difference between the first photo and the last, both in the weathering as well as the photography. A little good advise goes a long way. You have the makings of a great modeler.
    Just thought I would mention the window plating as that is something I know the reason for.
    When the FRA part 223 came into effect in the late 70's the railroads often welded plates over as many caboose and locomotive windows as they could rather than spring for the bullet resistant glazing. Before that regular safety glass was used and cheap to replace so most times a new glass was installed.
    I often wonder how much money did they really save by plating over the part 223 glazing.
    I have a P&LE cab on site that has 4 windows plated over inside and out. and with the labor costs I wonder who counted those beans. Alas, the cabs are now gone, and the fred in the front end has to walk the train to line the switch at the backend.:mrgreen:
  13. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I am sorry to say that they look much to good. I will have to take them off your hands so you guys don't get swelled heads :D:D:D LOL
    Just consider it a favor you owe me LOL

Wow, great work you guys. If I could paint like I can do some other stuff I bet I could almost get half as good as what is here.

Keep up the good work. An inspiration to us non painters :D
  14. mummert

mummert Member

Well I took another stab at weathering and I am quiet pleased at how the csx turned out. The ns car I just wanted to dirty it up a bit but keep it fairly new looking. I might still do something with the ns yet it just looks a little plain.

15. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Im really liking those Mummet!!

My fav is actually the NS one tho, very nice job on it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I would suggest leaving it that way, it looks good just like that. Tha trucks and couplers on it look great too!! :mrgreen:

I like the CSX one too, nice touch with adding a lil rust but imma have to go with the NS one on this one, looks like a typical used coal hopper!! :thumb: :thumb: Well done