my first try at modern wheathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by joesho, Mar 2, 2007.

1. joesho

joesho Member

alright they arent the best,besides there only 25 cent cars :D anyway here they are

Attached Files:

2. joesho

joesho Member

heres the rest of the photos,

Attached Files:

3. traingeek

traingeek New Member

I like the cylindrical hopper's weathering a lot. The boxcar is pretty good but generally the vandals only paint what they can reach, so the top of cars are generally not tagged.

I've done some graffiti on my (cheaper) rolling stock with a gel pen, and I like the results. I'll have to post some photos. :)
  4. KCS

KCS Member

If you do a patch job on the box then put some chalk on it and dullcoat it it would look a lot better. I agree with traingeek. Only what they can reach. Some, but few car's will have graff. higher up only because they were sitting in a rail dock somewhere over night. If you wish to get heavy into weathering then check out this site. I highly recomend it. Sign up for the forum and you can learn a lot from these prototype artist's. You'll be amazed at what you see and what you can learn. Not intended to be harsh on ya. It just takes time and practice.
  5. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

HeyI think I have seen that oil tanker in my town. Nice job, did you use chalk to do the weathering?
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The weathering/graffiti on the boxcars is way too excessive. The covered hopper looks fine, though not exactly as these cars tend to look today. The multimark tends to fade. But don't do any more to it - it looks weathered enough as it is. Weathering is an art, not a science, and you got something convincing enough there.
  7. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

I really like the first pic of the hopper it looks real purty to me. The second pic of the same car looks too rough, but I am guessing a coat of dullcote would even that rough look out and make it look more like the other side. As far as the graffiti cars go, it looks like a good start and is probably a lot better than I can do so well done! It always seemed to me that the graffiti stuff would be more difficult than normal weathering but I guess is in the end it is kind of all the same idea. Anyway, keep on keeping on!
  8. joesho

joesho Member

thanks alot guyz the graffiti on the one side is really old,done a long time ago,KCS,i cant access the side because it says user,and password,soo then i guess the question is,how do i sign up?.jasbourre, no this is not chalk,just some water color paints and some craft store acrilic paint.