My First Trestle...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

In the (vain) hope of getting something done to enter the "Locos and Bridges" photo contest, I started a project I'd been planning anyway.

On my layout, the "Megill River Lumber Co." is a small outfit running a 30 inch logging line. A small but deep cut containing a fairly fast-moving stream made the building of a small bridge necessary. This short trestle is to be the result.

This small trestle is a scale 32 feet long, and 16 feet tall at the centre. I took the lumber measurements from a Rio Grande Southern technical specs page. These first three pictures are of my progress thus far, and I hope to update this thread if I can find more time to work on this small project.

Here is the first photograph. Please ignore the mess in the background!

Attached Files:

2. Lighthorseman

Trestle Picture No.2

Thus far, my progress DOES NOT include gluing down the ties. I've placed them on top of the stringers just to see how they look. The Porter is one of the small locomotives found on the narrow gauge line.

As you can see, I still have to stain the ends of the ties, and touch up the trestle here and there.

Attached Files:

3. Lighthorseman

Trestle Picture No.3

Well, brakeman Bob just HAD to come and have himself a li'l look-see at the new bridge. Pappy insisted on the "New Bridge" having a walkway installed beside the track after the last bear-chase incident. (Don't ask him about it, though...he'll spit his nasty tobacco-juice on your shoe for reminding him of that...)

Attached Files:

4. Lighthorseman

Trestle Picture No.4

Well, after cleaning up the house, I got a little more done. The ties have been glued down, the ends stained, and Pappy's walkway has been installed. The wood side sills (??) have also been put on.

Here is a top view.

Attached Files:

5. Lighthorseman

Trestle Picture No.5

Here is a side view showing the crossbracing. Nut-Bolt-Washer castings have not been installed, and neither has the track.

Attached Files:

6. Lighthorseman

Trestle Picture No.6

Just for an idea of how SHORT this bridge is, here is an R-T-R Bachmann On30 boxcar placed on it.

That's about all for today. Good lord!! I have to get to work in 4 hours! Better get some sleep! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Catt

Catt Guest

Lookin' REAL good Steve. Oh and welcome to 0n30 the only scale with 3 gauges.:D
  8. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Very nice....

Very nice work Steve. :cool:

I've been collecting materials and ideas for my On30 module all summer, but I have yet to get to work on any of it.... :(

I'll have to call around to the local hobby shops and find out if any of them have restocked spikes.

It seems that both Den of Trains and George's Trains have been out of stock all summer long.... :mad: :mad: :mad:
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The trestle looks good!, can't wait to see some scenery around it!:) :)
  10. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Wow... That was fast...

Going from scratch to a scenicked layout instantly.

Very nice work Tyson. ;) Is it too late to enter that in the Magic Photo Contest?
  11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Nice work Steve! :cool:
  12. Vic

Vic Active Member

Super Nice Steve!!:) Its got a real backwoods flavor to it:D :D

PS: That ain't 'backy juice in the jar is it???:D :D :D Looks like Brakeman Bob could stand a fresh plug:D :D :D
  13. Mike R

Mike R Member

Nice rustic-looking unit Steve..what is the make of that locomotive ? After 45 years in HO, this narrow gauge O is starting to look pretty tempting. Regards / Mike
  14. Lighthorseman

The Little Porter...

Gee...wish I could boast of a scratchbuilding or even a kitbashing job, but's a ready-to-run Bachmann On30 model. Available for less than $50.00 USD.
  15. Lighthorseman

SLOW Progress...

I haven't had much time lately, but here's how I'm doing.

I made a pair of "concrete feet" from pink styrofoam, painted with Floquil's Foundation which will be blended into eventual scenery. I've added a crossbeam sort of thing, but haven't yet installed NBW castings, I still cannot finish work before 9:00 pm when the hobby store closes, and still have not been able to go GET those NBW castings.

Here's a shot of my progress.:)

Attached Files:

16. Lighthorseman

A Top View...

I just posed the track to get a visual "feel" for how the track will eventually :D look.

Before I lay the track, I'm going to work on the approaches to this little trestle, in the hopes of acheiving a smooth track transition from base to bridge and back to base again.

Attached Files:

17. Lighthorseman

Rough Ground Contours...

I've used pink styrofoam for the rough landform leading from the trestle to the small creek below. I haven't glued it together yet, as I still have tweaking to go, as you can see. Does anyone know if I can just use regular white glue to do this? Do I HAVE to use a "liquid Nails" type specialty adhesive for styrofoam?

Attached Files:

18. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey Steve,
    That's a great lookin' trestle!! I like those concrete foundations, too.
    I've been using Titebond yellow carpenter's glue on just about everything, even roadbed and track. Try a test piece or two if you have reservations....:D
    from Olive Branch,