My first switchstand

spitfire

Looking right at home. I have lots more of these to make.

Attachments

• switchstand.jpg
    switchstand.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 181

spitfire

Thanks Blake and Tyson. Yes, I am going to weather the track. I should probably do it now before I get too many details in place.

Val

George D

That switch stand looks good. :thumb: It really helps a "railroad" scene, but watch out, they're fragile and are the first to go in an 0-5-0 switching move.:)

George

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Val,

As a bit of a link to that other thread on Alder - are those switch stands from Alder?

Oh, and nice job on them - I really like the lanterns. Are the switches operational or just "dummies"?

Andrew

spitfire

Thanks again everyone!

George, you're right about that 0-5-0 switcher -- it's pretty clunky and doesn't operate nearly as well as it used to! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Andrew, yes the switch stands are from Alder and they are operational. I just got off the phone with Bob at CVR and he told me they're going fast. Will head over this afternoon to pick up as many as I can. The lanterns are a separate kit made by Utah Pacific.

Paul, you do me a great honour, but I really didn't do all that much. The switch stand part of the kit is already assembled. All that's required is to bend a piece of wire running from the turnout to the stand, paint and mount it on the supplied base.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the kits are available in O. I could pick some up for you if you like.

:D Val

spitfire

I picked up a few more at the LHS this afternoon. None of the non-working kind were left so I had to buy the pricier working versions. Also got their concrete farm silo, and although I really like the look of their barn kit I decided that I can easily make my own out of scale lumber.

Sorry Paul, there were no O-scale switchstands at all. :cry:

Val

DanishKnight

Val,

Who manufactures the working switchstands? Is it Alder? Utah Pacific? CVR? (What is CVR?) Once my PH&MPRy becomes solvent, the track crew will need about a dozen of them. Would be nice to have o-scale but will settle for ho-scale if that is all they make. They look great.

TTFN,
James

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by DanishKnight
Val,

Who manufactures the working switchstands? Is it Alder? Utah Pacific? CVR? (What is CVR?) Once my PH&MPRy becomes solvent, the track crew will need about a dozen of them. Would be nice to have o-scale but will settle for ho-scale if that is all they make. They look great.

TTFN,
James

Hi James,

Alder is the maufacturer, who has recently closed the business. CVR is Credit Valley Railways Co., a store just outside of Toronto, Ontario. I would guess that Utah Pacific made the lanterns, but Alder also makes (made) them. They may be available from other sources.

Andrew

spitfire

Andrew, thanks for fielding that question for me! :thumb:

The lanterns are indeed from Utah Pacific and were selected from the Walthers catalog. Part # 755-86, p. 325 Walthers 2004 HO Scale Reference.

Alder has closed it's doors and it's website - the owner was looking for a buyer as he wanted to retire. Credit Valley (the hobbyshop) bought up all the stock Alder had on hand, but it's getting rapidly depleted. There were no dummy CN-style switchstands left as of yesterday, only the working models which are of course more expensive. They did have dummy CP-style on hand.

There's a thread on Alder's closing here

Val