My first serious layout!

MilesWestern

Ok. Let's get "Back on track" as it were. I Finally ordered a steam locomotive with sound, Bachmann's Russian Decapod (2-10-0).

Take a look here: http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=40279

Along with that order are more switches, and I hope to finish off the track requirements for the yard, Perris, and maybe even Hemet, depending on my luck.

I haven't obviously had time to work on this layout recently, as School, my trainclub, and my business, PROTOPAINT-WEST http://protopaintwest.googlepages.com where I'm detailing N scale DPM structures, Weathering HO freight cars and locomotives, and I've been working slowly on my MOW train. (Gotta have a train to lay my track, eh?) ;)

More updates soon. Any questions?

MilesWestern

Yes, you did! Here's a Photo to tide you guys over! :D

My friend, known on here as Cadillac_SD9, just purchased this locomotive with my layout in mind... I'm so happy! It sounds absolutely beautiful, and looks that way also, and it runs butter smooth, most of the time.

new_layout_014.jpg

new_layout_013.jpg

It's an EMD GP20, built in the early 1960's.

MilesWestern

I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST SOUND STEAMER!!! WOO WOOO!!! :) The Bachmann 2-10-0 has, hands-down, THE BEST sound I've ever heard! I cannot wait to play with it some more!

I set up a "U" shaped test track, running from (look at the map in the first post)
san_jacinto.jpg

Hemet around the "bay" aisle where I sit, around to San Jacinto.

I've already FINISHED laying track in the yard at HIGHGROVE. I managed to fit 4 tracks of yard quite nicely, with provision for the 24" raduis Drop-leaf, running between Highgrove and San Jacinto. I wished to stick an enginehouse at Highgrove, for the "dedicated" switcher there, but to no avail, I couldn't fit it. :( I used these novel 12" cork tiles as a base for my yard, using 6 for the 1'X6' Space I've alocated for my yard. I glued them down with Elmer's Woodglue, and layed bundles of unused 2X2X4' lumber across them, creating a nice, flat cork-base for my track. It was a little pricey for the Tiles, $9.99 for four tiles, and it was a $20.00 project. I ise Code 83 track throughout the layout, and maybe a bit of code 70 for one of my sidings.

In other news: THE CAMERA IS BEING REPAIRED, and at a cost of $156.00, it'll be back home in TWO WEEKS! Stay tuned folks! :)

MilesWestern

Layout Pictures!!

Finally! some layout pictures. Whew!

Ok, so...Here's the yard at Highgrove, Ca.

Layout010.JPG

Here's the town of Perris, home to the real-life Orange Empire RR museum. The layout predates the museum though! Observant folks will remember where the temporary Freight and Passenger Depots came from... :wave:

Layout013.JPG

(for those who don't know click on the "look what I've done" thread at my signature to figure it out..)

Anyways, here's the town of Hemet, Ca... Still figuring out what structures to go where.

Layout018.JPG

Here's an overall shot of the room, Highgrove is on the Left, Perris in front of the "Filbert" sign, and hemet is the center peninsula. San Jacinto is in the foreground, and there is also a turntable there as well.

Layout023.JPG

Enjoy!:thumb:

wickman

Wow Miles I've been real busy and haven't been able to check the forum, I new if I left you be for a while something would get done. I really lie the look of your new layout. Thats a real sweet looking F unit you have there. I have 4 dcc bachmann deisels NOT F units but I think one day I'll try to trade them in for some F's.How do you like the DCC ? Is there going to be any different elevation spots on the layout with bridges and stuff?:wave:

You guy's make me want to pull my progress pics before I post them. Very good work Wickman. Miles, your past stuff looks great and I'm sure that your new project will be even better.

MilesWestern

April 6th 2:37pm PST, the telegraph operator wired Washington a simple message: " -.. --- -. . "

Goldenspike001.jpg
http://www.the-gauge.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4608&c=52

Goldenspike002.jpg

Goldenspike003.jpg

The first car to roll over 100% of my layout did the honor of being the first piece of rolling stock to completely roll around the entire layout.

Goldenspike004.jpg

The Advertising seemed appropriate.

Goldenspike005.jpg

The Car sits in front of the last section of track layed, there, on the right.

Goldenspike007.jpg

The brakewheel was released, the the car started to roll...

Goldenspike006.jpg

This removable section lets me gain access to the inner portion of the layout, three laminated pieces of "elmer board" Foamcore.

Goldenspike008.jpg

The reason why I really decided to go forth with this layout is crossing the removable section...

Goldenspike017.jpg

This beautiful set of FT's sit in front of the temoparary station at San Jacinto..it looks like the model of ther station was a wooden scratchbuild from at least 40 years ago... $12 at a trainshow! :)

Goldenspike019.jpg

That concludes the monumental accomplisment! :) Stay tuned more often!

Gary S.

Miles, looks like you are making great progress, congrats on the completed mainline. And I have liked the design ever since the first day you posted it. It should be really interesting to operate. And you just have to love the Santa Fe blue and yellow.

Any thoughts on an operating scheme? Switch lists? Waybills and car cards?

MilesWestern

YOU BET GARY!! I designed this layout with switching oppurtunities in mind! Switchlists: YEAH!! Carcards: YOU BET! :thumb: All I need to do is lay all the industrial sidings! :rolleyes:

To date, the Mainline, Yard, and sidings are complete, with only the industrial sidings, roundhouse, and turntable to go! :)

MilesWestern

Hey there Gary! (and Mr. J Wilson ;) ) I have SO much to share..once I get some decals printed up!!! (BIG SUPRISE!)

I cut a Hold for my Turntable, and am clearing a path for my industrial district! :D
Say, Gary, do you have any extra switches?

Gary S.

Extra switches? Er... yeah... I have probably another 15 of the Atlas #4s. They are supposed to go on the layout on the other side of the room, but maybe I should get some peco for that side?

When the industrial district gets cleared and some progress is made, I want pics! And can't wait for the surprise decals!

MilesWestern

Sounds good, whaddya want for about 7 of 'em?

EDIT: J wilson is Madhatter

Pics of the layout to come tommorow, or thursday.

The suprise will be soon! :D