My First Post

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by djcwardog, Apr 2, 2007.

1. djcwardog

djcwardog New Member

I just wanted to say that I'm glad to have found this forum on the web.

I have enjoyed similar forums for my other interests and I often have an answer for a post as well as a few questions that I want to air out.

I just moved to Louisville, KY from St Louis, MO and I switched scales from N to HO somewhere in there as well. I just bought a house that will allow a model railroad easement around the entire basement with a dedicated area on at least one side of the basement. This should allow me to turn full-length (10-12 cars, E and F units, plus some classic steam engines) passenger trains on a broad radius of track (say 34" as a minumum although I am open to suggestions - having thought that 19" was ideal in N-Scale...). I have been collecting the necessary engines and rolling stock - using proceeds from the sell-off of a large N-Scale collection - to run DCC and sound from the start on the new layout in the new house.

My new layout will have to be focused on a stub end big-city passenger station with double slips, crossovers and ladder tracks leading to a mainline that goes around providing scenic snapshots of various places of interest to me. DCC should make it easier to lay the track and let reversing cicuitry worry about train direction.

Truly a hobby of a lifetime, I have no expectation of a quick finish to this project, but instead to years of planning, building and enjoying as it develops. One thing I have learned is to get some track down on a good foundation so you can just run trains once in awhile without having to wait for it all to be completed. My nephews will expect to see some trains running - and soon!
  2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

welcome aboard freind.good to see new members.youll find this a wealth of koledge as i what road do you model?era?size? details man details!if you can have 34in minimum that's going to be a big cool layout.:thumb:cant wait to see it take shape.--josh
  3. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Welcome to the Gauge forums nice to have new guys in the hobbie. hope to get to see some of your work.
  4. djcwardog

djcwardog New Member

...for the warm welcome. I'm still planning the layout, but almost ready to put up some benchwork to "stake claim" to areas of the basement! Super broad curves will work best with my Walthers 85' cars but what radius? Obviously the smaller the more I can fit in...
  5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Welcome! Glad you could join us! A 34" minimum radius sounds plenty fine for watching passenger trains roll. I'll bet a lot of us are envious of your chance to start something new with such a generous size!
    Keep us informed!
  6. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Hidy ho neighbor, its scrumdidlishous to have you on boardballoon6

In other words glad you are here.sign1

7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Hello! Lived in St Louis for 12 years and loved it...ok...really didn't love the humidity - but loved the city and surrounding areas. Do they still have a few trains at Union Station?
  8. erikstoll

erikstoll New Member

welcome and hola from yet another new member =)
  9. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Welcome to you erik!
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Welcome To The-Gauge. Enjoy Your Stay Here.
  11. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Hey now!

Post some pocs of the layout as you progress.