My first N scale locomotive!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by kf4jqd, Apr 30, 2002.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Hello:

I baught my first N scale loco off of EBay. My question is: Can I use my old Life Like transformer to power it? Do I have to invest into another supply? I know I will have to get new track!:D I am going to build a coffee table railroad!

Andy
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

Andy,I would strongly suggest that you buy a new powerpack to use with the new loco. The Lifelike unit will work but you won't be happy with it.
  3. WM-N-fan

WM-N-fan Member

Just out oif curiousity, what is it?
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Andy: as Catt says, the old unit may not give you the control you'd like; it won't ruin your loco.
    If you want to upgrade in stages, you could buy a transistorized control unit that hooks onto the AC terminals on your power pack.
    You can upgrade the transformer part when you need to run more locos at a time.
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Andy,
    Good advice from Catt, get a new controller. The idea of a coffee table railroad is nice if you can put a plexiglass top onto it when it's finished and use and run it in the dining room. All visitors then then be able to admire your work.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  6. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Thank You!

Thanks everyone for your input! I suppose I can buy a cheap N scale layout and use those parts. I was reading my Walthers N/Z Scale book. Boy that stuff is small!:eek:

Andy
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Andy,
    Congrats on the new loco!
    Here's some more advice from a ham-fisted 220 lb, half blind middle-aged guy who models in N scale...
    Right after you get that new power pack, (that's a must-have item) get yourself one of those magnifyers & a really good light for your work bench.
    I couldn't live without mine!

BTW We'll be looking forward to seeing this coffee table adventure!
  8. BDC

BDC Member

Re: Thank You!

Andy - Another possibilty for you is to buy a K-1 track set from Kato. It's a portable Nscale oval with every except the transformer. You should be able to find on for $25-30 with the MSRP being $39. It makes for an excellent starter set.