My first N scale locomotive!

C

Catt

Andy,I would strongly suggest that you buy a new powerpack to use with the new loco. The Lifelike unit will work but you won't be happy with it.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andy: as Catt says, the old unit may not give you the control you'd like; it won't ruin your loco.
If you want to upgrade in stages, you could buy a transistorized control unit that hooks onto the AC terminals on your power pack.
You can upgrade the transformer part when you need to run more locos at a time.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Andy,
Good advice from Catt, get a new controller. The idea of a coffee table railroad is nice if you can put a plexiglass top onto it when it's finished and use and run it in the dining room. All visitors then then be able to admire your work.

Shamus

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Andy,
Congrats on the new loco!
Here's some more advice from a ham-fisted 220 lb, half blind middle-aged guy who models in N scale...
Right after you get that new power pack, (that's a must-have item) get yourself one of those magnifyers & a really good light for your work bench.
I couldn't live without mine!

BTW We'll be looking forward to seeing this coffee table adventure!

Re: Thank You!

Originally posted by kf4jqd
Thanks everyone for your input! I suppose I can buy a cheap N scale layout and use those parts. I was reading my Walthers N/Z Scale book. Boy that stuff is small!:eek:

Andy

Andy - Another possibilty for you is to buy a K-1 track set from Kato. It's a portable Nscale oval with every except the transformer. You should be able to find on for $25-30 with the MSRP being $39. It makes for an excellent starter set.