My first N scale locomotive!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by kf4jqd, Apr 30, 2002.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I baught my first N scale loco off of EBay. My question is: Can I use my old Life Like transformer to power it? Do I have to invest into another supply? I know I will have to get new track!:D I am going to build a coffee table railroad!

2. Catt

Catt Guest

Andy,I would strongly suggest that you buy a new powerpack to use with the new loco. The Lifelike unit will work but you won't be happy with it.
  3. WM-N-fan

WM-N-fan Member

Just out oif curiousity, what is it?
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Andy: as Catt says, the old unit may not give you the control you'd like; it won't ruin your loco.
    If you want to upgrade in stages, you could buy a transistorized control unit that hooks onto the AC terminals on your power pack.
    You can upgrade the transformer part when you need to run more locos at a time.
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Good advice from Catt, get a new controller. The idea of a coffee table railroad is nice if you can put a plexiglass top onto it when it's finished and use and run it in the dining room. All visitors then then be able to admire your work.

6. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Thank You!

Thanks everyone for your input! I suppose I can buy a cheap N scale layout and use those parts. I was reading my Walthers N/Z Scale book. Boy that stuff is small!:eek:

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Congrats on the new loco!
    Here's some more advice from a ham-fisted 220 lb, half blind middle-aged guy who models in N scale...
    Right after you get that new power pack, (that's a must-have item) get yourself one of those magnifyers & a really good light for your work bench.
    I couldn't live without mine!

BTW We'll be looking forward to seeing this coffee table adventure!
  8. BDC

BDC Member

Re: Thank You!

Andy - Another possibilty for you is to buy a K-1 track set from Kato. It's a portable Nscale oval with every except the transformer. You should be able to find on for $25-30 with the MSRP being $39. It makes for an excellent starter set.