My first hand layed track/turnouts

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well I decieded to build a switching yard out of a bunch of old brass sectional track. This is as far as I got befor I was diverted to yard work (fence building). The yard will have 11 turnouts and will hook to my layout when I get to that. If I like the hand laying thing, I am considering doing the whole layout, well, the parts of the track that is seen anyway.

I cut the ties myself and made the spikes too. Can't get spikes here in Regina. I guess no one here abouts hand lays track.

Still things to do, like the throw bar and wiring and all the rest. I used an old cork covered memo board as the base backed up with a 1"x2" wood frame. It is 15" wide and 6' long.

Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Attachments

• switch 4.jpg
    switch 4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 224

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
TrainClown,
Looks good so far,:thumb: alot of work but it is kinda neat to so this. I messed around with doing that in eighties for something to do, cut and stained my own ties, drew up the track plans, made spikes out of staples, also I filled in the frog with solder and found a piece of hacksaw blade was the perfect size for opening up the flangeways but it would be hard to do already on the ties I built the track on a board then transfered it to ties. Another facet of the hobby which is rewarding.:)

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
The whole thing

Here is the layout of the tracks. I used a photocopied turnout that had the right radious (18"). The space to the lower left will have the yard tower and there will be an engine shop on the lower center 2 tracks. The track on the outside right is for engine storage. The track on the outside left is the main.

Comments & ideas are welcome.

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• switch whole yard.jpg
    switch whole yard.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 224

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Say, that's a good idea, NYC-BKO. I never thought of using staples to make the spikes. Alot simpler than the way I was doing it. I was taking a piece of 20 gauge wire, hammering a flat spot every inch, cutting them apart in the middle of the flat spot, bending the head out of the flat spot on both ends of the 1" wires, and then cutting the 1" wires in half at an angle to create a sharp point. :rolleyes: Your's is a better idea by far. :thumb:

Oh yea, that track second in from the right at this end, is the caboose track (I think).

This is my first kick at the cat and as if things aren't complicated enough making 2 switches that join together, I'm thinking I will make them both throw from the same knob. Push one knob, throw 2 switches. They both have to be thrown at the same time to be used anyway. This is why I started with the least used track and switches. By the time I get to the main line I should have the system down pat.

TrainClown :wave:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Looking good Trainclown! Have to hand it to you, tho I've handlaid quite a bit of track, I've never cut my own ties, and only tried making my own spikes once. I wasn't to happy with them, too tedious for me, even tho I've done other tedious things. I wound up filing the commercially avaialble spikes to about half their original size (the heads, of course). This too was tedious but I only did enough for a wood trestle where I wanted the detail. While I haven't yet used them, check out the products avaialble at this site. http://www.proto87stores.com/p87stores/ultim1.htm

While doing a lot of track with these items would be costly, I plan to try a small switching area to see how I like it. Should look awesome. Might try it next winter.

Have fun with your yard!

Gary

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Looks really good, TC! :thumb:
Should add not only a great scene to your layout, but also make for some great ops! :thumb: