My First Funaro and Camerlengo Kit: Rutland Hopper Bottom Coal Car

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
ross31r said:
Do you think it would be best if i tried a boxcar or flatcar to begin with then?

From what a few other folks have reccommended that may be the best way to introduce yourself to these type of kits.

This is my first resin kit but I have built several P2K kits and a couple of other craftsman kits so I thought I could tackle this. There maybe some time in the future that I wish it was a boxcar.:D

The one F&C kit I really want to do some time in the future is the butterdish milk tank car.

ross31r said:
Do you think it would be best if i tried a boxcar or flatcar to begin with then?
Hello, Ross...

I've built several of these kits and they take a little getting used to. To begin with, the castings are a bit rough and need to be carefully filed or sanded in places. Also, there may not always be a good fit between parts of the instructions may not make sense in some places. Keep in mind, too, that these cars can also be detailed with complete brake rigging and airline piping if that's something you want to try. The resin has a mold release agent on it in places that has to be well washed so as not to create problems with your paint job. A good kit to try out would definitely be a flat car or gondola just to get the hang of the quirks involved.

Russ :)

Skammer

Feb 4, 2005
One of the problems I first had when I tried to do one of these kits as a novice was not knowing all the terminology used in the instructions. ("Bolster? Which one is the bolster? What's a poling pocket?") I ended up putting the kit away for a few years, and when I came back the instructions made a lot more sense.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here is how the car looks with the ends attached:
aag.jpg

aah.jpg

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This is turning out nice Tom.
I just may have to build the Funaro and Camerlengo Battle ship gondola kit I got.
I found it loose in the bottom of a box of rollingstock shells and parts I got for $10
Looks like most of the parts are there and even found the instructions.
Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone!

I did some work over the weekend on the car. I began making grab irons for the sides of the car and installing them. I have one side done and the other half way done.

aai.jpg

aaj.jpg

Acela82

Jun 4, 2005
Dresden, Germany
I made my first experiences with F&C kits this week, when i started assembling a MP54. It was my first resin kit, and i figured out very fast, that you need some skills to assemble it. But i think i fixed it. I modified the frame a bit, added KD coupler boxes and some underbody piping made of brass wire. Overall, it was fun to built, here are some images from the current status:

mp54-1.jpg

mp54-3.jpg

mp54-10.jpg