Votes: 0 0.0%
  • its pretty good

• needs alot of work

• Total voters

Union Pacific

hello:wave:
I am currently working on my first "real" MRR. It will be of Union Pacific's loco Facility at Bailey Yard. I have 5 of many tracks laid and have one selector wired up and both of my power packs hooked up. I am curious how I can run DC trains with a "walkaround" throttle so to speak??:confused: I want 1 jack that I can use to sit on my bed or whatever. the Layout measures 36"X70" it is a simple frame layout I don't have a track plan I am just squezing tracks in however i can and get #4 switches to work :p ;) :rolleyes: I am getting some switches and ballast ASAP since you know its model railroading :rolleyes: :p well enjoy!!

thanx, Ben

who_dat73

I voted

Hey want to let you know I voted needs a lot of work but that is only because you are just begining from that stand point keep on truckin and pluggin away at it.
:thumb:
Mike

N

nachoman

hmm. You need software that reduces photos both in dimensions and size.... try something about 600 width and size about 50MB.

kevin

posting pics

i know how you feel UP i found a way on my comp first select pic then look for a tab that says size in there should be a bar that states mb pixels and one other (brain fart) once i get back home ill do it and go word for word if you cant get it..... or maybe some one else can help before i get it. gl on your yard:)

KCS

I dunno about that E-Z/Power-Loc track. That's going to take up more room and doesn't last all that long. After a couple years it'll start to mess up on top of the noise that's going to come from the plastic road bed. In the long run it'll cost you more. If your building a big layout then you might want to look into bulk flex track. Just a suggestion. It'll be cheaper, last longer and put it in prototype location. It's worth a shot.

Union Pacific

umm:eek:ops:

That is not E-Z track it is Woodland Scenics 24' roll of roadbed with Atlas Code 83 flex track. I will be doing this in a winter setting so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about the matter? I am/was going to use flour as the "snow" and the ballast since it will be a big snowstorn that will cover all the ballast is this a good idea???

thanx, Ben

RailRon

Just be careful with flour! After all it is edible, and there are a LOT of tiny little insect critters which just about are crazy for flour! And then you have the beasts all over the place! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also when it gets wet (depends where you live and have your layout) it starts to get lumpy. And it tends to get a yellowish tinge which doesn't look snowy at all. :(

In one word: Don't use flour for snow! (perhaps for a short photo session on a diorama, but then it's one hell of a mess to clean again. I know! :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Ron

Russ Bellinis

Two things that I know of that work for snow is white plaster and fine marble powder. Don't just put down hardshell scenery and leave it white, it will be too white to be believable. Scenic the layout as though it were summer, except don't put foliage on any trees that are not evergreens. Sift the "snow" on as the last layer of scenery material. the marble dust sifted over the white plaster gives the entire scene some sparkle. I bought marble dust from a craft store that was going out of buisiness, but I think it is available from craft stores. Is the yard you are modeling located in the mountains? Generally yards are located in flat areas. Major yards have as much asphalt between tracks as they do tracks, particularly in areas where railroad workers work on trains like rip tracks, service facilities, etc. On a hump yard, expect the areas on either side of the tracks all the way up the hump and at the top of the hump to be paved for a smooth surface for the brakeman to cut cars loose. There may not be asphalt between the tracks in the destination yard at the bottom of the hump because it is too dangerous for men to work down there with cars coming down the hump, but there will be paving down to any retarders and switches from somewhere in the yard to allow vehicles to get to them for necessary maintainance and repairs. Don't model a lot of ballasted track. Generally the high ballast we model is found on the mainline and branch lines. Yard tracks are generally put down directly on the dirt, or on a layer of ballast that is generally close to grade level. If you are modeling a working rail yard, don't let snow cover the whole thing. Everyday operations of the yard are going to make paths in high pedestrian traffic areas. Rails will be kept clean by trains moving over them. Snow won't fall under railcars and locomotives; and since they are kept moving by the everyday working of the railroad, random bare areas will be visible where a car or cut was parked during the snow storm and then moved after the storm passed. Switch points will be kept clear because they need to work to switch the cars around the yard. I will probably think of other things to mention later and others may chime in with some things I have missed.

Union Pacific

thank yo ull fot he help :wave:

I will make note not to use flour and will make shurte to leave bare spots I will make shure I keep you guys posted. I am modele ing Union Pacifics Locmotive
Facility at Bailey Yard
thanx, Ben