my first craftman kit

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jkristia, Feb 28, 2004.

1. jkristia

jkristia Member

This is my first attempt at building a craftman kit, and I must say that I have enjoyed it a lot, and are very pleased with the result so far.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Nicely done! Scale lumber makes my hands twitch so I really admire anyone who has the patience and craftsmanship to assemble such a structure. The results are certainly worth your efforts! Nice weaterhing along the bottom side of the walls and stalls too!
  3. neilmunck

neilmunck Member

That's nice.

Who makes the kit? I'm trying to work out what goes in the stalls - no doors so not horses, not dirty enough for coal. ?
  4. jkristia

jkristia Member

Actually it is coal, but I still need a lot more weathering.

The kit is Fenimore Bros. Coal by FOS (
  5. George D

George D Member

Nice work. :thumb:

I've got a few wood kits in my "to do" stack. Pictures like that get me itching to try one.
  6. DanishKnight

DanishKnight Member

That is an excellent structure! I love the paint job and weathering! Mange smuk! :thumb: Craftsman kits have come a long way since I did a couple back in the 70s. AMB (American Model Builders) has a small branchline depot that I'm working on. My Lady says it's really cute. :oops: I like it because of its diminutive size (small floorplan perfect for a shelf layout).

Med venlig hilsen,
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: :thumb:
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That's real nice and natural looking. Good job. FRED
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Nicely done! My first craftsman kit was also a coal dealer... :) I really like the weathering along the bottom of the main building.

For a cheap coal-like substance, try dollar store aquarium gravel in black. It is a bit oversize, but works well.

10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Excellent looking structure. :thumb:
  11. jkristia

jkristia Member

I managed to get a little bit done yesterday while wify was watching the Oscars.
    Andrew, thanks for the tip, but this kit comes with a small bag of coal so I am gonna use that.
  12. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

That looks nice. Another choice for more coal if you need it is aquarium charcoal for filters, or go to the junkyard and get a GM charcoal cannister. Both these are easy to make smaller with a hammer if need be. FRED
  13. philip

philip Guest

Very Nice!:thumb:
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow Jesper, that is sweeeet!

:thumb: Val
  15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

16. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Real nice! Great job!