My first card models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rlwhitt, Sep 27, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and must say this is an outstanding forum! Lots of good info, good pics, and nice folks.

I wanted to post the pictures of my first 2 models. First is the BA Concorde by Currell in landing config:

Probably not the best choice for a noob's first effort, but I think it came out pretty well anyway. No close-up shots - wouldn't want to expose all those inevitable flaws! :) I think the excellent instructions with pictures plus the quality of the parts themselves went a long way toward making this easier. Kudos to Currell!

Next up we have the Millennium Falcon, which I built for my 9 year old Star Wars fanatic son. Boy was he stoked! This one went together fast and pretty easy. Lots of nice straight, square parts!

I'm really having a ball with this stuff! And like many others here, I've already downloaded more new stuff than I'll probably ever be able to build! Next up I'm planning to finish the Currell V-2 I've started and then perhaps on to some real spacecraft (LEM, Saturn series, etc).

I've even got my 12 year old daughter interested. She started on the Canon site, built 4 of those simple animals they have in about 2 hours, and now she's doing the complex 3-D Yellow Labrador. I'm impressed with how quickly she's taking to it, and doing a great job!

2. barry

barry Active Member

ist models

Great start Rick a lot of us would like our nth model to look like those

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You got that right barry! Good looking models Rick!

Rick.......... You will find that getting kids interested in this hobby is not that hard, it's pretty easy because there are so many different things that can be modeled that anyone can find an interest, and if not it's not really hard to learn how to design you own.......... ask barry, he has made(and is making) some really sweet models and though he might argue about the hard part, I for one have been very impressed with his tenacity and his results!

The really great thing is you found THIS site and there are some amazing guys here who will not only answer questions, but go so far as to show you their very secrets to many different problems with building and designing!

I expect to see some pictures very soon of model done by both of your children!

Welcome and remember any questions you have......... ask and answers will come knock on your door.............. so to speak!

4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Rick, great job on the models. Good to hear that your children are getting interested in the hobby too. There are so many outstanding models available, both free and for purchase.

Keep up the good work.:)
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

The Force is strong with this one...WELCOME rlwhitt !!! Excellent job on both those models!
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hello Rick and welcome to the forum!

Fantastic job on those models! It is very hard to believe these are your first ones, they are beautiful!

I would love to see pics of your daughter's models also. It's great that you have gotten her involved in this wonderful hobby!

7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I will be sure to post a pic of the daughter's dog when she finishes it.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh crap - I tried the MF for my 15th model (or so) and threw it away after two tries and here you got it as one of your first and called it easy - POO! :p first larry, now you showing up with all this natural talent. I better try extra hard on my next one. Welcome to the forums and looking forward to more of your builds. I bet your daughter shows me up too....
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well you know, I thought that this would be a really simple build since it even came with pictures. But once I got into it, I realized that the pics only told half the story, and a little bit of a confusing one at that. Since there are no written instructions saying "put MF-3 onto MF-1 here" I was lost for a few hours trying to figure it out. Then I observed that the author kept showing what LOOKED like the same side of the thing, seemingly putting all sorts of things on that same side, but really it's almost a mirror image. About the only way to tell what side you are looking are what holes (or not) were showing in the pics. Then there is the issue of whole assemblies just magically showing up in a picture with no explanation of where they came from and what pieces they were made from. Rather frustrating...

I can sympathize with what you are saying - my comments that seemed to indicate this was an easy build are more aimed at the notion that the bits were at least easy to cut, fold, and form since there were a lot of straight lines, not many tubes, etc. There *IS* a fair amount of guesswork involved at first on this one.

At one stage fairly early on I even though maybe I ought to document what I thought were the "holes" in the instructions and the clarifications I came up with for the benefit of others. Perhaps I still will while the thoughts are fresh in my mind if you folks think it might be of benefit. If so, where would such a post belong?

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You can write up a build thread on it and just post your thoughts. Otherwise you can always write it up and maybe submit it to the creator and hopes he understands it - as I recall it came from a non english site. :) I would appreciate, I still hope one day to do it!
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I don't recall where I got my copy, but later found it at this site:

And a subsequent link has some english instructions to go with the pictures:

The copy I had included the pictures but not the text. Even though the text is a bit sparse and oddly translated, it's a better than what I had. :)