My first card model build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by SgtSki in MI, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Hey all,
    I just joined the forum the other day and have just completed my first card model build. I've built a couple with plain printer paper before this one but I'm NOT gonna show those. Anyway this P-51 was a freebie I found online and I learned a few tricks as I was building it, so I printed it again for another go-around. I'm in Iraq and had received some building supplies from my wife, so this was my first go using something other than plain paper, an Elmer's glue stick, and the scissors on my Swiss Army Knife!

Other forum members have generously emailed me a whole mess of models, so I'll keep building and posting. As a long-time plastic modeler, I find card modeling something that can easily displace plastic as my favorite medium to work in. It doesn't take up much space, doesn't require a whole lot of special tools or supplies, and costs a heck of a lot less!

Attached Files:

2. lfl_jeetoon

lfl_jeetoon New Member

Are you in Iraq?
    My god!
  3. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Yeah I just can't get enough of this place. I've already thrown my hat in the ring to come back over next year. It's a nice break from my civilian job and the roads are nicer than Michigan roads.
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

The Mustang has always been the symbol of the American air power, nice build Ski!!
  5. woww nice build on that bird:):) hey bro you keep ur helmet on stay locked and loaded and u get back to the states fast!!!! good luck to all u grunts in country YOUR DOING US PROUD!!!! UR OUR HEROS!!!
  6. smyfe

smyfe Member

Great build on the Mustang, and as for being a plastic modeller, I built them for nearly 30 years but haven't even looked at one since I found this site, there is something very satisfying about making a 3d model from flat sheets of paper. Be warned, you WILL get hooked:thumb:sign1:thumb:
  7. exzealot

exzealot Member

Hi SgtSki,

Glad to hear from another Michigander. I have to second Patriot Missile's comments concerning your service. Regardless of what you may hear, the American people are behind you 100%. I also agree with you about Michigan roads. You must have a pretty terrible job to prefer staying in Iraq!

Great looking Mustang! Keep sending pictures. If you need anything, just ask - give me your address and I'll send it.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Heh ... nice choice for the first project.
  9. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

Great looking Mustang Tom. Keep up the good work
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is GREAT - my first 10 models werent that complex :)
  11. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Thanks Patriot!!!
    I have a question for you conerning your forum name. Are (or were) you in Air Defense? My son just joined the Army last year and he is a 14J stationed at Ft Sill with the 6-52 ADA. Heres: a pic of us both that was taken at Ft Bliss last summer. He was there attending school and I was there for mobilization training before I shipped over here

Attached Files:

12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Good looking build!
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Hi SgtSki,
    Great build of an excellent airplane!

If I may offer an advice...
    You might want to consider clear acetate for the canopy - it will complement nicely this neat bird.
    Also, in the next build you could try coloring the edges of paper to hide the white. Water based pencils, paint or markers will work perfectly. If you don't want to mess with them, try coloring the edges with a pencil. Gray color will blend perfectly with all colors.
  14. SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI New Member

Thanks Shoki! Actually coloring the edges was one of the "notes to self" that I came up with after I built it. Like I said in the original post, I've already printed another set of parts for a second go-around at it. Thanks for the tips!

15. lfl_jeetoon

lfl_jeetoon New Member

16. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

great build !!! here is my email address send me ur afo po adress n ill send you a disc of free paper models i have ...keep up the good work stay safe man:thumb:
  17. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

Howdy Sgtski, I'm your neighbor for a few months here in Iraq! Good job on the "Old Crow"! I have that one but haven't started my build yet...

18. sakrison

sakrison Member

As Shoki suggests, you don't need a lot of colored pencils. I use two watercolor pencils--a light gray and a dark gray. Got 'em at Hobby Lobby. Matching color on the edges isn't as important as matching the contrast. The two grays make my models' edges disappear--or look like panel lines.

I'm pulling some commercially printed models from my pile to send to your hobby club in Iraq. Spread the word: "Rock is dead; Paper and Scissors RULE!"

No worries,