My first builds (Futurama's Planet Express ship, BSG Cylon Raider and Viper MK2)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by paperdemon, Oct 10, 2010.

1. paperdemon

paperdemon New Member

Well, hello everyone!
    I think it's time I finally got started on posting some of my stuff here.

It all started when a friend of mine got me infected with his new hobby some time last february.
    I started on building Ninjatoes' BSG Viper MK2 with a whole lot of ambition. As it turned out, the model was a bit more advanced than I had expected, but regardless, I went through with it. Well, with the wrong sort of paper and I didn't take some of the instructions too seriously. So in the end it looked quite like Starbuck had crashlanded her Viper on a moon, but as a first dryrun I think it went all right.

After another couple of failed attemps with different models I let it rest for a few months but a couple of weeks ago I picked up again where I had left and built the Planet Express ship from Futurama. I know it's quite simple but I'm a huge Futurama fan and I also think it was a good way to get into modeling again.

Here she is:

Attached Files:

2. paperdemon

paperdemon New Member

BSG Cylon Raider

After the Planet Express ship went all well, I discovered a new addition in Ninjatoes' BSG-Category and just had to give the Cylon Raider a try. His paper models are incredibly well made.
    It took me about a week with a few hours of modeling in the evening everyday. It's not perfect but I'm quite proud of the result:

Attached Files:

3. paperdemon

paperdemon New Member

BSG Viper MK2

After the Raider was finished I decided to build the Viper again I had (so badly) built in the beginning but this time I actually paid attention to the instructions and it turned out to be a real beauty.

Attached Files:

4. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I see that you have been busy. Very well done, and now, what is next on your agenda?
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Very well done! Your first paper models, huh? Quite nice for a first-timer. :thumb: If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism: next time pick up some cheap markers in a large variety of colors and try out edge-coloring.
  6. paperdemon

paperdemon New Member

What to do...

Thanks for the encouraging replies!:wave:

Well, I recently finished my last project but I think I'll post it in a new thread.
    For now, I haven't decided what to do next. Probably something Star-trekish for a change.

Yeah, I already tried some edge-coloring on the Cylon Raider after I had finished it but put it off again till I find thin-enough markers for that kinda job.
  7. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

For edge coloring, I use a paint brush most of the times. Markers sometimes do not make it into the little nooks and crannies that a paint brush can get into. The only problem with paints, is trying to get an approximate color of the model but it is do-able. Waiting to see what is next. See you around the forums.