My First Building 50% Weathered

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by TN_Trainman, Mar 6, 2007.

1. TN_Trainman

TN_Trainman Member

Hello all, well here it is my Coal mine is 50% weathered, I say 50% because I still have the supports and the bin to weather on the tipple. But for the Main bldg it is pretty much done.

I used Games Workshop paints as I have a Zillion of them since I have been a Minatures Gamer since 1993. I started first by using a watered down 50/50 of Mithril Silver over the bare production color of the mian bldg, leaving streaks here and there and then taking toilet paper and lightening the paint here and there, both rubbing and blotting.

Next I mixed a Black Ink wash (GW Product) about 75(IKN)/25(H2O) and applied it very liberaly to the roof and the sides and again wiped away in various spots.

I did this a total of 3 times each time trying to overlap and hit a new spot as well.

I hope you enjoy the pics and invite comments and suggestions, I will post the finished pics as soon as I am done.....I know I should have waited but I was just sooooooo happy!!!:D :D :D

Attached Files:

• cm1.jpg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
    • cm2.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
    • cm3.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

George - great work! Those "gamer's" paints have a great metallic look to them. Nicely done. A great alternative to the old, rusted out look that many people choose. Looks like it's only seen a few years since it was built, instead of decades.

3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Nice Job, I LOVE IT :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Wow - that looks great! What a building.
  5. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Games Workshop Paints are great... the inks are particularly useful. I've recently started experimenting mixing them with conventional matte mediums to great effect... particularly with both ink and acrylic paint washes. I've found they've been great for doing weathering as well as graffiti work on train cars as well :)

Have you tried mixing the black ink wash with a little chestnut ink to get a really nice oily/gunky kind of look?

Excellent work! :)
  6. viperman

viperman Active Member

The weathering looks great on the building! Not too weathered, just nice and dirty
  7. TN_Trainman

TN_Trainman Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, I hope to have the finished pics of it up by this weekend. Last night I worked on the tipple lower section and the steel beams under the main mine, tonight I am going to try to ink wash the lower section on the tipple and see how that turns out. Hopefully it will be ready for a spray of dullcoate by Friday night.....

Thanks again
  8. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Great job!!