My First Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jrb53, Sep 14, 2009.

1. jrb53

jrb53 New Member

OK, here's the beginning of my first card model. Currell's V-1

Turned out to be more complex than I imagined, but it's been fun learning the new medium. I plan to watercolor the seams and do something about that nose spinner, not very happy with it at the moment.:cry:

Only real problem so far was the warhead section that I must have cut too close to the lines. There's a slightly flattened area (underneath 4th fuselage section) that must have resulted from too tight a fit.

Attached Files:

2. Romanator

Romanator Member

Welcome to the forums. It's a great start! Way better than my first! (Or second, or third..)

I love Currell's models (one reason is that you don't need to layer cardboard, they work well with the card formers.

About the seams: I think the watercolors will make the paper warped and wrinkled and make the ink bleed. I suggest acrylics, or painting the edges of paper before it's glued. I have also used oil pastels, but the coverage is not as great in my experience.

It looks really exciting, and now I'm inspired to make another. Give us updates:wave:
  3. jrb53

jrb53 New Member

Added small parts to fuselage. How do you guys hold a piece of card stock that is 1 mm by 3 mm? I can't even get tweezers to pick it up, had to move it to the edge of the matt and then grab it. Still trying to figure out how A-13 is supposed to go on. :confused:

Started the motor. Inside looks a little crooked and I don't have a clue how to fix it now, but it should be deep enough to not be a glaring mistake.

Attached Files:

4. Romanator

Romanator Member

For A-13, cut out the rectangle, and fold it in half. Then cut out the circle and place the completed part on the fuselage. It's supposed to represent a cap or access panel I think.

If I can't get tweezers to work, then I might use a toothpick with the tiniest little speck of glue on it, and make sure there's just a bit more glue on the part that needs to attach to the fuselage.

But the best way is to just get used to the tweezers. What do yours look like? I've used some that couldn't pick up anything, and some which worked very well.
  5. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

Well jrb53 looks like your having a better time than i did with currell's v1 got to the bottom and was totally lost had to go hunting around the web for pictures of how the bottom went, but i must say for a first build you are doing well... it just takes practise i've been doing it now for about 3 1/2 years now and I still learn things!!
  6. jrb53

jrb53 New Member

almost a motor

The intake cowling is difficult. Can I fill the small cracks with glue? and then brush on a little color. I lined up the end of the flaps with the marks inside, but I still came out a little too "puffy." Going to let it dry firmly overnight before joining.

Thanks, you guys, for the kind remarks, it really helps a rookie builder!

Attached Files:

7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

You can also pick up and position tiny parts with the very tip of a new knife blade (Xacto #11 or similar). Gently touch (don't stab) and you should be able to lift and position even tiny parts.

8. jrb53

jrb53 New Member

Page 1

Motor went together fine, did the mount, and tacked a few more things on the fuselage. Page 1 of the instructions is done. Might get to do a little more after dinner. I've been using that blade tip Yogi, helps counteract my 10 thumbs!

Attached Files:

9. Dr. Aerospace

Dr. Aerospace New Member

Hey, you're doing an awesome job for your first model. Keep crankin' them out. I'm working on a small air force to fly CAP over my desk at work right now.
  10. teddy_ho

teddy_ho New Member

great job bro... i like that....!!