My first build: Sleeping Beauty Castle

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by PaperRonin, Jul 26, 2008.

1. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

First, hi everyone!

I am new to cardmoddeling, but found this forum relatively quick :thumb:
    Wanted to show you guys/girls my first over paper model, doing the Sleeping Beauty Castle for my daughter...

Few shots from my first 3 hours cutting and bulding:

More to follow!

Also, I am thinking about modelling a few things myself, not new to 3D stuff, so I might pick up same (game) models in the near future too...

:wave: later all :wave:
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a nice looking model once it is finished. :)
    I used some cheap costume jewelry chain for the drawbridge.

Attached Files:

3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Looks good. Is this the one from the Disney experience web site, I've built that one, but the stones on your build have a different texture to mine. Compair the photos in the first post to the one that SCEtoAux has finished. The stones in the SCEtoAux's post have square corners, like mine.
  4. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

It IS indeed the Disney Experience model of the castle, I guess they updated the model somewhat after you guys finished building.

@ SCEtoAux:

Nice touch using the chains :) I think I will do the same with mine, had some silvery thread that I wanted to use, but this looks so much nicer :thumb:
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Hell of a challange taking this on for a first build, good luck.

I agree with SCEtoAux, it is an impressive model when finished.
  6. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

At first I thought: "A Hell of a challenge for a first build, this aint too bad at all!" Well, I must say, I am confident I will do this right, but those turrets with all the tiny arching "finger" pieces on them... wall1wall1wall1

Will make photo's soon, the front entrance, five turrets and a tower by now. (Building for a few hours a week, family needs me too :mrgreen:)
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Your daughter is indeed fortunate to have a devoted father like you! I can only imagine her excitement. You can purchase plastic Disney figures online. They would make a wonderful fantasy complement to the castle for her young imagination!
  8. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Thanks for the compliment! :mrgreen:
    Well, she does look at the diner table every morning to see what I have done the evening before. And those Disney figures...she has them :cool: a LOT of them :mrgreen:

I have taken new shot from my progress, will post those later on monday... :wave::wave::wave:
  9. kk135

kk135 Member

NIce job so far. Looking forward to seeing more!
  10. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

I'll have to take pictures tomorrow, got lot more done than just this, but decided I needed some practice before I'd continue :)

Build a few models so far, always coming back to adding more pieces to this one.
  11. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Here are some pics of the progress:

12. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

All coming together now:

13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Looking good.

I have to say though, the textures are better on this newer version than the original one I built. The stones on mine are square edged, on this version they are more rounded. I don't think I'll be making it again, just for the texture difference though.
  14. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Well, I'm building it again for sure sign1
    Thought of replacing the window panes and the 'glass and lead' panes from Sleeping Beauty with pieces printed in Overhead sheet...

Also, I have someone at work who is interested in the completed model, twice! For presents to his daughter and wife...
  15. wudang

wudang New Member

Hi PaperRonin,

Great work with the castle.
    Actually I'm building one for my GF's birthday as well and I'm having the hardest time with the fingers on the turrets.

How did you manage to get them to stick so neatly to the building?

This is my first paper model and so far the fingers are really stomping me.

Any tips?

Thanks so much.
  16. Trader Sam

Trader Sam Member

Yes, the "fingers" really are tricky since they tend to naturally flare outward. What I did was to glue two opposing "fingers" at a time, holding them in place with my hands as the glue dried. It was a pain in the butt, and it took a long time, but it was worth it to have that nice tower detail.
  17. dindandut

dindandut New Member

18. Tirick

Tirick Member

That is a sweet model! I've two little girls fascinated by Disney's sleeping beauty (they like dragons, go figure). Give them a year and I think that will make a great family project. Very nice assembly pictures, and thank you for the links, I'd not heard of that site before.

19. leaw

leaw New Member

My Daughter has friends over - they want me to build it for them NOW!!
  20. JoseOmatic

JoseOmatic New Member

I love Disneyland! I'm going to try this one