My First Attempts

kevdog77

I've been lurking on this board for some time, and all of your fantastic work has inspired me to give it a shot.

I'm working on a new N-Scale layout, and I put two spurs a little too close together. I needed one long fairly skinny building to fit the tight space, and I couldn't find anything that looked right. I built this widget distribution center out of Evergreen .040 V-Groove. For the dock doors, I used scrap turned so the grooves ran horizontally. I used smooth .020 for the entry doors, and I reinforced the corners with .080 Evergreen Angles. I tried clear plastic for the windows, but it didn't look right, so I used photo negatives.

The building measures 3" wide, 8" long, and 2.5" high. I still need to put up signage, roof details, and maybe a fenced-in outdoor storage area, but I wanted to get your opinions on what I've got so far.

Attachments

• building one.jpg
    building one.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 150

Arlaghan

Welcome to The Gauge!

And what an entrance! Great scratch! Can't wait to see it lettered and weathered with all the trimmings! ;) ;) ;)

belg

Kev,that is a very nicely scratchbuilt structure will you be lighting the inside so you can see someone in the negatives? My only comment would be that it looks like you ran the corrugated roofing horizontal which would not let the water run of there very well. Looking forward to seeing it fully weathered and detailed great start.Pat

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Welcome aboard! Nice structure! Neatly done. The use of the negatives for windows is a clever idea. Show us more as you build that layout!
Ralph

Drew1125

Hi Kevdog!
Welcome to The Gauge! :)
Every model RR needs a widget distribution center, & yours looks great!
That is some excellent scratchbuilding!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Tyson Rayles

While I agree with Belg about the roofing running in the wrong direction it is a nice building never the less! Welcome to the Gauge Kevdog! :)