My Favourite Paper Stock for Models

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by cecil_severs, Mar 30, 2005.

1. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

For those on this list who reside in Canada and the US here's a link to my favorite paper for card models. At $25.00 per 500 sheets it's the best paper value I've found anywhere.

This stuff has a very smooth finish and ink dries instantly without bleedthrough. It does not crack when creased since it is uncoated. Weight-wise it comes in about halfway between ordinary copy paper and a 64 lb Wausau card stock. I guess that makes it about 60 to 80 gms per sq meter. I may try to measure it when it arrives.

It's the paper that I used on the Avia B-534 which I recently completed and which I wish I had used for the P-6 that I'm working on now. I has been unavailable for about a year. So now that it's back I wanted to share it with the group. Who knows, if enough of us purchase it maybe they will keep making it.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

This seems to be very similar to the KromeKote Inkjet presentation paper that I posted earlier only this is actually cheaper. It's 8 mil and 151 g/m2. It's color gamut is amazingly good and yields the most saturated colors yet on my Canon i560.

As an idea it might be a good idea to start a link list to recommended list of paper vendors..., maybe a table of available cardmodeling paper types is in the offing.

Best regards, Gil
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Cecil.........I ordered a ream and will give it a try.

But a question for someone......... I've noticed that the paper that say dk use for his LA-11, and some other builders use has a texture to it. Is that found only oversea??.........I mean not in the US or Canada. The Mustang that is featured has a texture also.

Just curious. Thanks

4. dk

dk New Member

Hi there,

I case it was not clear, I live in Toronto Canada and for my La 11, I used Eposon Photo Paper, Matte , 44lb that I bought from Office Depot.

It is a very nice paper, bit of expensive, but very durable and does not crack when you bend it. It also takes ink very nicely and produces bright colors.
    There is no texture on it.
  5. gera

gera Member

One of my favorites for 1:33 scale is Regular Folder paper. I can get it here in white and yellowish which makes great background for "desert" camo planes. I sometimes use "very light blue" 44 lbs paper for planes with a gray/blue color.
    One of the best there is for 1:50 models is HP Brochure and Flyer paper, matte finish, 36lb (50 sheets in abox)at US $ 11.97 here in Panama..its fantastic, perfectly white and absolutly no bleeding with my Canon i550...
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks dk........ maybe it was the spray finish that made me think that it was the paper.

I've tried different work our print shop uses a 110 card stock, but the print on it from my Canon i475D is hazy. I've tried a Georgia Pacific 110 card stock from Wal-Mart and it does ok on printing. Also a white card stock made by The Paper Company I picked up from Michael's Craft but I'm still looking.............maybe Cecils choice will be my "Holy Grail".

Geraldo....... I haven't tried using anything other than "white" paper........ I will try changing to a colored paper on the next model. Didn't really think of that. Thanks.
  7. Jimi

Jimi Member

i've noticed. is 110 card stock the "average thickness" cardstock? i often use 220 gsm paper primarily because, it eliminates the sagging of parts for parts without an internal frame. and when assembled, it's quite sturdy. the downside is, 220 card stock is not that easy to bend, fold etc compared to thinner card. maybe, i'd try to use 110 for those non "structural" parts. :)

For those in the philippines, you guys have to know. im cheap. i use 220 gsm 13 x 8.5 in "Elit" cardpaper. costs about 22 php ($ 0.40) at national bookstore. a pack contains 10 sheets. the downside is that it aint gloss. which means, it easily gets dirty. spraying clear acrylic to the sheet after printing and before assembly will do the trick. and umm, wash your hands before working. :D