My empire in progress!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by rilines1, Sep 24, 2005.

1. rilines1

rilines1 New Member

:wave: Greetings to all! I am new to The Gauge and wanted to share my empire in progress. Basement is roughly 25' x 25' after installing a wall to keep the furnace and laundry area out of the main room which is still under some re-construction. Pics show about half of the completed frame work. Layout will be a point to point. More pics to follow as more work is completed.

Helix will be the size of a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood.

All wall mounted. Looking east from the previous picture.

Extension from wall is the exception, mounted from floor joists. Empire to continue down the long wall behind the shelving unit.

2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:

I likes it...especially how you are coming off of the floor joists. Looks like a great place to stash a CTC/Dispatcher. :thumb:
  3. rilines1

rilines1 New Member

Thanks Bob. One thing I made sure of prior to construction, no legs to the floor on any part. Freedom to get under the layout without obstacles.
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Looks like you are coming along at a good pace. Sure can't wait to see what you have to bring to us here.

Oh By The Way. Welcome To The-Gauge. :wave: :wave:
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Oh sure! :D After years of hitting me shoulders and bangin' me 'ead :D :D You come up with that!! LOL

Looks Great!!! :D :D :D :D
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Welcome to the gauge rilines1.
    This is going to be a huge L/O.. and we get to look at the beginings of it all :cool:
  7. Conrail

Conrail Member

WOW!! :eek: That's HUGE!! Nice benchwork. :thumb: Keep us update on your progress.
  8. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Boy thats going to be a big one. Nice bench work. Are you really going to use that level and spoil it? Ha' Keep pictures of your progress coming.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  9. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

WOW what a undertaking:) and a neet idea on hanging it?
  10. rilines1

rilines1 New Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback! I wanted to make sure I kept the framework light weight. I have been using 1 x 3's for most of the work. 2 x 4's used for the main wall supports secured with concrete screws. I used 1 x 1's for the extension hanging from the floor joists. I will use a similar technique when installing the helix. After the framework is completed, the next step will be the backdrop.
  11. rilines1

rilines1 New Member

announce1 Here are updated photos of the empire in progress. Plywood sub-roadbed now being installed.

Attached Files:

12. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Nice work! :thumb:

Got any plans for installing lighting & valances?
  13. rilines1

rilines1 New Member

Thanks! Once the plywood sub roadbed is down on the entire layout and the new walls and electrical in the basement are completed, carpeting and new lights along with possibly a new ceiling will be installed. Have not quite figured out what type of lighting I will use overhead.
  14. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Brilliant contruction plan to avoid those pesky legs! Looks like a empire in the making for sure!

15. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

I am not getting the pics, just red Xs