My Dream Track Plan

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Well I posted this thread last night with a ruff sketch of my trackplan, but asked for its deletion. After some great discussion and input with the fine folks of The Gauge chatroom, and a wonderfull re-vamp from Spitfire, I think I have my dream layout.

I do not yet have the room for it, but its certainly gonna be a requirment when I buy a house in the future.

Heres what I wanted from my layout

DC Operation
A yard
Allota Water
the inorporation of my current 4X8 layout (oval with inner circle)
No reverse loops

I think ive accomplished that!

trackplan.png

This will be a cookie cutter style layout with layers built up with foam. The yellow portion is track level while the green is mid-level between the lake and track.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

TJ

jambo101

Feb 14, 2007
Montreal
As a newb who could never figure how yard operations work i was wondering if you assembled a 12 car freight train in the yard would you then have to reassemble the train one car at a time out on the mainline using the turntable for backup space? as it seems to me that the exit for the yard has no space to pull the assembled train out of the yard :confused:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
jambo - good point! That's exactly what I was going to ask when I first looked at the plan.

I'd look at turning the yard around so that you can extend a lead out parallel to the main across the top wall.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
OK, that's better, but now put a separate switching lead off the yard, so that you don't have to run on the main to switch the yard and build a train.

I'd also move the turntable up to the top right corner, where you've got nothing going on right now. You really only need one lead to the TT, not 3 as you've drawn it.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
OK, take Three

Is this what you were thinking or did I just make things worse? Im ok with having to block and isolate power if needed, I just dont know where I would. Also, I dont want to use the turntable as a routing station so this seems like my only option.

trackplan3.jpg

My biggest two problems are I need to keep it DC and I want to keep it as remote as possible.

Thanks again!

TJ

edit: is it just me or do I have a nasty reverse loop goin on between the TT and yard. Any ideas?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
sorry guys...dont worry about this...im just digging my whole deeper...i report back when I think I have it figured out rather than jus throwing drawing at you!

Thanks..ill get back to you

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Ok guys, im asking for help yet again....I just cant figure this one out.

The turntable is not vital, I can go without, however somewhere in this im going to need to store 3-6 engines that can stay stationary while not in use. (so I can pull out the switcher and do som yard work) But in the order to keep the trains the right direction for departure, I think im going to need it. My biggest dilema is preppin while not occupying the mainline, and then hooking up to my steamer as easy as possible.

to make things worse, im still dependant on only DC.

heres a blank canvase...if anyone could just paint a few lines on it or anything help me out I would greatly apprecieate it.

trackplanblank.jpg

Thanks a million

TJ

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I would suggest that if you're stepping up from a 4x8 to such a large space, you scrap the 4x8 and start from scratch.

You can do better. Is that really your dream layout?