My current P-51 Design Project Beta Build

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by RyanShort1, Jan 8, 2007.

1. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

As the “old timers” around here may know, I’ve been working for quite some time on a redraw of the old Prudenziati P-51D model. I had emailed him and obtained permission to do so. I’m still not finished, but I’m closing in and I thought that I would share a build thread as I do a test run on how the markings will look. I plan on eventually redoing or adding detail parts such as the pitot tube, wing pylons, landing gear areas, radiator area, radio masts, and perhaps even the exhausts if I ever get around to it.

At times I’ve wondered why I ever started doing this, but I really enjoy working on P-51 stuff, and mostly the research involved as well as talking to the men who flew the aircraft. Researching a specific aircraft in a specific squadron has really been quite a blast, and is definitely paying off as far as I’m concerned.

The set of markings you will see are from the 45th Fighter Squadron based on Iwo Jima in 1945. One of the men who flew the aircraft picture was in a film called The League of Grateful Sons which some folks I work with put out last year

So, “Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.” Deut. 32:7

Here goes for the thread:

Cutting out the fuselage

The fuselage cut out

A part that generally needs re-enforcing gets a tiny strip

Another view

Until next post, this is Ryan hoping that you are enjoying this thread and that you will try and learn whatever you can from the WW II veterans around you. Oh, and if you meet any US Army Air Force veterans who served on Iwo Jima, drop me a line won’t you?

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cool! I remember!:grin:

Looks good.......
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I remember you too... and will send you something eventually.

4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I just saw a magazine yesterday at B&N with big red letters "Iwo Jima". I didn't buy it, I bought WWII Fighters special issue magazine. But it made me wonder about that little piece of land.

Thanks for showing and please, continue the thread. Hey, are you going to post also some historical facts? That would be neat!
  5. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Looks very good, Ryan. Zio would be proud of what you have done with this. Keep at it.

6. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Iwo Jima

Hey, Gerardo,

You aroused my curiosity. I found a good web site called

Check it out.

7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

WOW! Thank you Bob. That could be a good subject for a collection of models.
  8. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Isn't that what the War Bonds were for?
    Great for the Iwo Jima famous picture, by the way.

Any progress on the P-51 Ryan?
  9. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Yes, but I haven't had time to resize the pictures and write the captions. Also there's a nice little storm here where I live and I've been having to give a lot of attention to some livestock.

10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Argh! Just to let you know, I had two more updates worth of pictures stolen last Friday when I lost my 5-month old Canon Powershot S3 and a GPS I'd used. We were on a trip out of town, and apparently had some of my stuff and some of my sister's stuff stolen when we went to get some groceries. So, I'm going to hold this project until I can buy a new camera, which may be up to a month from now. :-( This was a major loss as I had been using it for some website work for the flying group I'm with as well as my other websites and a few other projects. The thief has no idea how hurtful this was.