My cardboard Christmas Crib

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Well, inspired by Robin's work I decided to do this year's Christmas Crib out of cardboard, it's mostly basic structures but it will give me some practice in cutting and planning, and maybe I'll get some confidence to build more complex structures in the future. The space to ocupy is this one:

Attachments

• presep_1.jpg
    presep_1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 206

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
The two first basic structures

They are loosely based on the one's found in Bethelem in the time Jesus was born, the inside of the windows are completed but still not in place, there's still one structure and lot's of painting to do:

Attachments

• presep_2.jpg
    presep_2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 207

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Very Nice, Nelson!

Looks like you have got the hang of it already... nice clean cuts and joints... looks nice and square. Congratulations!

Also, Merry Christmas! :D

C

Catt

Nelson,I can see now that your gonna be competion for Robin. :D Very nice start sir.

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Almost finished :)

Well, it's like 90% done, I still miss some weathering and of course the figures are still missing, I plan to finish today. Some things didn't turn out exactly as I wanted mainly because working within a time schedule is very restrictive, that explains why my N layout is evolving so slowly :D .

The shiny look is because the paint is still wet :)

Attachments

• presep_5.jpg
    presep_5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments, it's always good to hear them, as for the questions:

Ralph: To make the water I used three colours of Artistic Acrylics, Titanium White, Cadmium Blue and Sap Green, I put a lot of white the same of Blue and a little green. After that I just mix everything making sure the darker tone stays on one side and the lighter on the other (thus making it the impression of being deeper) (Note: I've done this directly on the place to paint and not in a can). After that I used a cheap clear varnish to give it the shiny surface. Hope you understand what I wrote because sometimes thinking in Portuguese and writing in English is a bit confusing.

Sir_Prize: Well Portugal is a Catholic country (at least something around 92%) and this particular scene depicts the born of Jesus Christ. It's a tradition but it also has a deeper meaning for Christians it represents the born of our religion. As far as I know only Roman Catholic religions have this tradition, I might be wrong so if anyone knows a bit more I would like to learn.
Christmas Cribs can be seen around the world and each nation has it's on interpretation of it. I once saw a beautiful mexican christmas crib made with their own ceramics style that left me almost speechless.
In my country C. cribs are mainly made with green moss but this year I decided to go diferent and created my own interpretation of this particular scene.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Nelson..your translation is excellent, especially your sentence structure!! :thumb: You only missed one word-born:birth

What you call a 'Christmas Crib' is widely known in the USA as a 'Nativity Scene'-depicting the story of the birth of Christ for many denominations of Christianity other than Catholisism.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Nelson,

Wonderful job on the nativity scene! I think you did a great justice to what you are trying to depict and I'm sure others have already appreciated your work. You must get a great joy to see that "look" on their faces. ;)

From on Catholic to another: Merry Christmas!

-Alex