"My Beautiful Luncheonette"

spitfire

Finally I got my camera back from the repair shop. It has been a week of total withdrawal but it's fixed now, and I can show you what I've been up to.
This is the DPM kit "The Other Corner Cafe" and I decided to do a number on the interior.

All the details are scratchbuilt: the booths, the counter, the grill, the hood over the grill. I used some tile pattern sheet styrene to simulate the metal backsplash behind the grill, painted silver, and some Walthers vents, filed down for the stools.

This first shot shows how I assembled everything onto the base. The tiles were ink-jet printed, as was the menu board. The figures are Prieser.

:D Val

Attachments

• lid_off.jpg
    lid_off.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 270

spitfire

Here is the building with the grill and hood attached to the back wall. I recycled some truck detailing parts to stand in as a coffee machine and mixer.

Attachments

• walls.jpg
    walls.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 263

spitfire

Here it is put together, looking in through the front windows. I have not put any window "glass" in yet but that's next. It will be a bit tricky because you will be able to see the inside, so I'll have to frame them inside as well.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 268

spitfire

Here's a view from the side. I can't believe I actually made a ketchup bottle to go along with the menu and serviette dispenser. I have 5 more of these to make -- one more for the counter and 1 for each of 4 tables.

The menu over the grill has real 1950's prices as best as I could remember or guess them. I agonized over that for quite a while!! LOL!!!

Attachments

• menu1.jpg
    menu1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 266

spitfire

Thanks guys.

George, it's HO scale. I made the ketchup bottle by filing down a sprue and then cutting off the end.

Ray, the Blue Plate Special is Corned Beef Hash, with coffee, tea or milk, and your choice of Jello or Rice Pudding!!! If you don't like that one, wait til tomorrow, when we'll be serving grilled liver and onions.

:D Val

Arlaghan

Way to go, Val!

Definitely worth the wait and certainly lived up to the hype! :D

If you'd like some more ideas (besides the upside-down W's) here's something you could try:

Usually the interiors walls are nicely finished, with wood trim or paneling and such. I know the Wendy's I'm doing has wood trim below the window level and some tile or something above that (I have to check my photos). Since it's a corner structure, you can see all four walls so it might be neat if you want to go through all the trouble!

Definitely top notch work! Can't wait to see more! :thumb:

C

Catt

Val,I have a suggestion for your cafe's windows if your interested.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Val,
Liver and onions sounds good to me! Beautiful work, I hope the window details work out well.
Pete

C

Catt

You may allready be planning on doing it this ,but what the hey it might be useful to somebody.

This idea works in any scale on any thing if the walls are flat and you can get to the backside of them.

1 Get some clear styrene (Evergreen has it) at least .015" thick.

2 Cut the styrene to the width of the building ,passenger car or loco if the loco cab is flat faced If the loco windsheild is Ved cut the styrene to just over the window width.

3 Cover the styrene with masking tape (bothsides is a good idea.)

4 Place the styrene inside the building ,car,etc. dead flat againest the inside wall.Using a fine point mechanical pencil or a very sharp #2 lead pencil trace all around the inner window edge.It is very important that you stay right to the edge of the opening.

5 Remove the styrene from the building and cut arouind the tracing leaving just a small amount of material on the outside of the line you drew.

6 Now carefully sand to the line constantly checking your work by fitting the window to the opening.I find that they look best if mounted flush with the inside wall.Once the fit suits your fancy remove the masking tape and use either Micro-Scale Crystal Clear (SP) or Testors Clear parts cement & window maker.

This is kinda long winded but I find if your doing interiors the windows just look better.:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: WOW Val, beautiful work. The detail is excellent:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
That's a good window tutorial Catt.

spitfire

Thanks for the tutorial Catt. It sounds like a really good idea. Is the masking tape to keep the plastic from getting scratched?

Val