My baby.

Discussion in 'Radio Control & Other Propulsion Methods' started by paulhbell, May 10, 2007.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I decided to post these photos of my type 22 frigate in responce to paul_a's good bye thread.

And yes some of it is made from card. It was bought as a hull and fittings kit from sirmar (do a google search). The hull is glass fibre and the fitting are made from metal and resin. The superstructure is made from balsa and mostly thick card.

Now that I am back at work, I can now afford to get her finished. Nothing has been done for about 5 years and she needs looking after. All the bit's are there, she just needs some time put into her.
  2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Front superstructure

Most of the wall and decks are made from card. This was made about 8 years ago and the card has lasted ok. The ship has been in the water and the card did get wet, but I had already coated it, so it was ok.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The funnel base is made from card, but the funnel is made from resin. The aft mast is also made from card.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Another view.

And now the good news. I have the full plans for the ship and I am planning on doing a 'barry'. The ship is 60" long at the moment, 1/96 scale. I am going to have a go at making a smaller version out of card and putting radio gear in it.

The summer is fast approaching here and I want to get the ship finished to sail her this year, then the card version will get started. So look for a build thread in a couple of months.

Oh, and I am still building cardmodels at the rate of 2/3 a month.
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice looking ship! And big too!

A huge project with great results! Beautiful workmanship!

6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Thanks, but she needs a lot of work yet. And yes she is big, moving her to a 'pond' is going to be a problem, no car at the moment.
  7. paul a

paul a Member

great looking ship and welcome to the rc forum. it,s great to have company.looking forward to all your builds.card model boat on water this i want to see.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great! I like this a lot! Do get some footage - video if you can :) You should replace that helicopter on the fantail with an airhog helicopter and do some at sea take offs :) and yes, I am still easy to entertain :)
  9. Regie

Regie Member

Give me a shout and I might be able to give you a hand. I live in Harrogate, but I work in Doncaster, so I might be able to drive over and give you a lift on one of these fine summer evenings...
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Looks great keep posting the pics please

11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Regie, that would be cool. I know of a rc boat club in doncaster, at the back of the dome. Been there a couple of times in the past, some great boats. I liked the jet ski with a barbie, that a 10 year old girl built with help from her dad.

Paul_a, I know paper and water don't mix, if anyone has any ideas how to water proof the card hull, I would be grateful. Above decks will be ok, it's just the hull I will need advice with.
  12. Loopy

Loopy Member

With regards to waterproofing card for use in water, Glynn Guest as published in Model Boats (, uses Cellulose Dope and light model aircraft tissue to finish the hulls of his models, which is built from balsa and card. Seems to work for him!

Nice looking ship you have there!
  13. paul a

paul a Member

i was going to suggest dope or a two part epoxy.
  14. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I used epoxy on the type 22 above decks and that worked ok.
  15. paul a

paul a Member

people tell me rubber band motors and paper don,t mix.don,t believe all you here.
  16. paul a

paul a Member

i would use epoxy.if i see something better i will let you know. your friend .paul