My 3x9 HO layout

History: I have been fascinated with trains since i was a kid. my dad had lionel stuff we got out around the holidays, and 3 years ago my wife bought me (and my 1 yr old son) a HO set for around the xmas tree. i was hooked, and decided to start a layout in our basement. the only space we have extra is a hallway area where i could manage a 3' x 9' table. pretty small for HO, but i am very pleased. it has been a slow project, with two jobs, two kids, and many other hobbies, it gets done when the weather is bad and i get bored.

The Layout: I have no interest in operation, i just like to see the trains go around and tinker with the modelling, etc. i also don't know much about the history of trains, so there is no theme or anything. the table is built from 1x4's and has 2" foam on top. the outside loop is 15" rad and the inside is 12". the inside i only run a GE 70-ton Switcher and small coal cars. the outside is a RS-1 with assorted frieght. the mountain is cardboard stips and plaster sheets. the track is atlas code 83 on black foam roadbed.

Here is a link to my page with some past pictures of the progress:
http://hansbauer.cindayimaging.com/trains/

and here it is in its current state:
8137layout15.jpg

thanks for looking, just wanted to share what i have been working on. i have learned so much on these forums just by looking at other peoples layouts and gathering tips and tricks.... thought i would contribute my little bit of experience.

i am in the process of getting alot more ground cover done, grass, ballast, coal, etc. i have 20 evergreens coming in the mail for the mountain, and a few more small buildings to work on. i'll keep the thread updated with photos as it changes. also, my wife bought a hot air balloon to put up. once i get it weathered, i get it hanging.....

yeah, he just turned 4 and loves to sit and watch dad work on the train layout. he tries to help when he can, but it is still a little to delicate for him. he also has his own track on the floor with his thomas train on it.

any hobby you can do with your kids is a great hobby!

Sawdust

Nov 11, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Yes keep that little guy interested.My wife & I got my son then 6 years old his first HO train set.He is now 15 & we all are in this very deep.Our set has been dismanteled for now to make larger.When we had it up running my wifes area was all new & clean,my son & I nicknamed it Martha Stewartville.My son & I like to weather everything we build.We all had our own but not divided areas we worked on. It is definetly Americas Greatest Hobby that the whole family can be involved in.We are mostly building structures & planning the future layout right now. Keep up the good work!

tall grass and bushes

well, i have been working on some tall grass and bushes over the last few days. here is what i have done:

Tall grass: took a wallpaper brush and cut some bristles out of it. held them in my fingers and dipped them in hobby and model glue. let it dry for about 30 sec, then did another. when they were all done, i dipped them in the glue again and placed them in the layout.

tallgrass1.jpg

tallgrass2.jpg

tallgrass3.jpg

Bushes: i found some stuff at Michael's Crafts called "reindeer moss light green". it seems just right for some bushes. i also found that if you shake the bag over your grass, it will drop a bunch of random junk around and make it look more natural.

bushes1.jpg

bushes2.jpg

bushes3.jpg

thats the progress for now......

Sawdust

Nov 11, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Made a lot of progress,keep up the good work.Dealt with the snow as well, made a lot of progress on my Maple Valley Logging & Millwork.Weather is fine now got to go to work & make some train money.:thumb:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Boy...!!! That's some train...!! Goes to show you don't need a mega-layout to have a lot of fun....Looks like you've achieved that. Congrats...keep up the good work...And let us in on it..!! :thumb: