My 1st Railfan trip

spitfire

The CPR Empress is a class H1b Hudson, she's still running, and she was in town as part of a cross Canada tour. It turned out there was also a local run, to Milton and back, for a very reasonable price. I'm thinking, hmmm, that would be fun. Meanwhile my aunt was visiting so I decided to get tickets for her and my mom as well. They remember the real days of steam.

We begin our journey at Union Station - almost torn down a decade ago, but still intact, on a promising June morning.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 134

spitfire

The trip to Milton wound through some excellent model subject-worthy country, but going too fast for photos.

It was bit annoying at first when we arrived, because we had to wait so long to get off the train. When we finally were let out, they wouldn't let us off the platform. Meanwhile, the engine was way further ahead, and a lot of people hadn't even seen it yet.

I found a way outside through the parking lot to get this shot through the chain link fence.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 134

spitfire

It was such a perfect summery afternoon, and by the end of the visit, everyone was getting a photo-op!

Attachments

• kid1.jpg
    kid1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 133

spitfire

The stopover in Milton was nice and long, with plenty of time to go around getting detail shots like this.

Attachments

• tight.jpg
    tight.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 132

spitfire

We returned to Toronto on a regular GO Train. But, before she said goodbye, the old gal backed way out of sight - to get up a good head of steam, then came barrelling down the track in one last sprint, like the thoroughbred she is. I took this photo before surrendering to the moment. And man, what a rush it was! I can hardly describe the feeling.

Attachments

• bye.jpg
    bye.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 134

interurban

And what a 1st railfanning trip it was Val!!!
Now listen up gal ya got to get out more :D :D :D ;)
So glad you made the Hudson trip.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Nice Val. I too took my first railranning excursion on Friday to catch her running past Kemptville and into Smith's Falls. The highlights were hearing the whistle (it is definitely not a horn) just before seeing her coming into view and barrel down the double main at full speed (at least 45 mph). The other was being herded away from the engine as she pulled up to take on water in Smiths Falls from the fire dep't. Almost everyone got shoved back to the station, but my friend and I went to other way - and the engine pulled to a stop right in front of us - no more than 10 feet away!

Pictures soon - here or in the "Canada" section.

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
And man, what a rush it was! I can hardly describe the feeling.
Val,
You don't have to........UP Challenger# 3985 blasted by on a fan trip, I was about ten feet from the track as it passed......wooo hooo!
Pete

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
What better way to spend a Saturday. Hope your Mom and Aunt enjoyed it as much as you did Val.

brakie

Val,You know railfan trips can become a very good habit. :D I am glad you enjoyed your day. :thumb: