My 1:18 Thunderfighter build

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Zathros> I (at one time) wanted to be a pilot, but unfortunately, I am too tall. They just do not make cockpits for people that are 6'6" (2M) tall (if there is, I have not found one yet).

When I was first designing the MK-III, someone had mentioned making a TF with a clear prop on it. I do not know it he ever did make it on not.

I would love to see just how the design of the TF (in any configuration) would actually work in real world physics and how much of it would have to be changed to make it work.

Z

Zathros

You need to fly with an open cockpit!! I did know someone that tall who flew a Piper Warrior. He was squished up a bit, but he also was an instructor, and flew that plane all the time.

I have see people make all manner of things fly, though some to be being pushed or drag into the air. I think the Thunderfighter with the canard could be a real head turner.

ASC Mclaren

Rhaven Blaack, I feel your pain. My Grandfather was an experimental test pilot for Boeing. He took me flying for the first time at age nine, I flew the glider that day! I lost my military contract when the seated height limit was lowered 5 cm. I'm 6'4". So, I work around aerospace, but....

Kjev

Zathros, check this:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/13618-buck-rogers-thunderfighter-build.html

Buck: Yeah, in the 20th century, were did that, we called it camouflage.
Dr. Huer & Wilma: Camouflage?
Twiki: Bede bede bede Damn straight Buck!
Dr. Huer: Will it work?
Wilma: It is worth a try, It sounds good.

Just got back from Kinkos. Yes, it is 1:18. Yes, I will be finishing the other fighter, on this thread. I am planning to remove the cockpit from the existing TF, and put them into the repaint. I am hoping that the cockpit that Rhaven Blaack designed can go into the "screen accurate" build.
Anyway....

Ooohhhhh... I like the stealthy version!

And Twiki always got the best lines. Sometimes he was kind of a dirty-minded little droid, too. Probably my favorite character, though.

You know, Blaar just taught me how to make skins for PDO files last week. Just for kicks, I'd love to do a Thunderfighter in Prairie Ghost or APRAT camo. Both of which would be useless in space, of course.

ASC Mclaren

Did a little more building. I added some support to the vertical stabilizers, so that it could stand on its own.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 22
Z

Zathros

You have a figurine of Erin Grey! jawdrop I noticed it has a very nice shine to it compared to dude who was always in the way, Buck something or the other!:thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to see that Wilma could finally join you.

You are doing a FANTASTIC job on this build.

asgard85

Hello, I wonder how a model of this size can not bend. How do I do. I think I see the photograph of the small wooden bar. Is this correct?. Sorry for my bad english

Z

Zathros

Yes, these models must be reenforced or many problems will appear with moisture and temperature changes, much like any real craft! :)

ASC Mclaren

Asgard85, This model does not bend, it's base is about 8 layers of 110 pound card stock laminated together, however... The base warped. The balsa is my attempt to correct the warpage. Now the last series of photos is my work to add stiffeners to the vertical stabilizer/main body gear. No worries about your English, it's probably better then mine :)

ASC Mclaren

I've done a little, I need to print out new 30 and 31 (which has been an excuse, just sayin'). Mostly I have been noodling out a working nose gear, I have part of a prototype in styrene. I will start the nose gear bay and struts shortly. I also cleared my head with a couple of quick builds (Heuy, Deuy and Louie's leg from Silent Running). I will be starting the subdued TF soon, including a astro droid socket in 1:18, which will be chronicled in this thread. I have been hoping for the release of Revell Fan and Rhaven Blaack's interior for this build. I guess I am out of excuses, so I will resume work!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I've done a little, I need to print out new 30 and 31 (which has been an excuse, just sayin'). Mostly I have been noodling out a working nose gear, I have part of a prototype in styrene. I will start the nose gear bay and struts shortly. I also cleared my head with a couple of quick builds (Heuy, Deuy and Louie's leg from Silent Running). I will be starting the subdued TF soon, including a astro droid socket in 1:18, which will be chronicled in this thread. I have been hoping for the release of Revell Fan and Rhaven Blaack's interior for this build. I guess I am out of excuses, so I will resume work!
I too am sorry for the delay of the release of the cockpit interiors, but Revell-fan had a few things he needed to take care of first. I can assure you that he is back on track with the interiors and should have them done very soon.
Once again, I am very sorry for the delay of this project.

ASC Mclaren

Arkon, Thank you, I am humbled! Rhaven Blaak, Apologize for nothing! I can only thank you and Revell fan and every other designer that allows their hard work and labors of love to be shared!

Selber

So impressed with the model it looks fantastic. ASC that is so terrible, they must have lost so many good pilots putting in rules like that.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thought it might be time for a comment on this. THIS IS OUTSTANDING!!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the result. BTW, take a look at your mailbox. I just sent you the rescaled files. So you have a crisp and clean interior. Feel free to make any additions to make it look more authentic (seat belts, greeblies etc.). RB and I based our design on the life-size mockup of the TF which was a bit simpler than the interior of the 1:24 filming miniature. Good luck!

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I am greatly looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.

ASC Mclaren

You all are awesome! I just downloaded the resize files and will resume building this week. I also started cutting parts on the dark grey TF. Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

ASC Mclaren

Printed resized cockpit (Thank you Revell-Fan!) and started building again.

Attachments

• misc 083.jpg
    misc 083.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 9
  • misc 082.jpg
    misc 082.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 7
  • misc 085.jpg
    misc 085.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 16