Mustang II

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Dnlgtr, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

2. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I like what you have done.
    But you should also note on the model that it was originally from FORD not me.
    Yes i uploaded it here. But still it is a Ford product.
    How many versions can you come up with??
    I like the tweeked one with stripes.
  3. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

WHOAAA god job Stev0,quick to

4. Great job, Steve. I'm wondering if you can describe how you eliminated the ragged marks left by the bends made in the original. These ran across linework as well as colorwork and it would seem that you'd have to spend a LOT of time restoring those sections but you turned it around so quickly that I assume you know some techniques I don't. Care to share?

Cheers --- Larry
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Using software like inkscape where one can work in vectors helps tremendously. You can work in such software and export it to any size without the compromise that such rastor software like 'paint' has.

I used the original as a backdrop and in my 2D software on another layer traced over the original by regarding each portion as a basic shape (top view hood, top view fender...) Then I added individual shapes all on various overlaying layers (top view hood - layer 1, top view fender - layer 1, bend on hood - layer 2, hood vent openings - layer 3). I looked at the general shape of the model and by my estimate, guessed where the original artwork starts and ends. Using gradients with a color pick of the underlining color as a base and merely darkening the underlining color one can simulate shadows as in the hood. This model in particular was created by hand and sent to the printer. Normally one would create half of the vehicle and mirror it to the other side. The side of the car needs to only be created once and mirrored across and the wheel get drawn once and copied over. All creations are placed on their respective layers.

The key thing is to manage all your work and control it through layers and that way you can manipulate the final product with great ease. Also using vector software allows me to quickly with a few clicks, change the paint job of a vehicle completely.

The only thing is to create a test build and hopefully I have placed tabs where needed. I'm sorry Dnlgtr I put you as model provider since I seriously doubt the original creator is available for credit. I'm just happy to have this item to work on. :D
  6. I agree. I just downloaded Inkscape to see what it's like. Normally I'd use Illustrator for this. I guess the description of your actions are what I would do. I was just surprised that you turned it around so quickly. You're either a LOT faster than I am (likely) or you had some time on your hands :) Thanks for the explanation. I'll take a look at Inkscape.

Cheers --- Larry
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'd go with illustrator if its an option since it's a vector tool... I find it more stable than inkscape but that could be the machine in at the office.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Fixed and completed original restoration