Multiple trains?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Spartalee, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

Ok as you all now know I have got my old lionel 3 rail going and I am going tommorrow to purchase a new loco and some cars. my question is how can I run multiple trains on the same track and what kind of power amplifier would I need when I start getting a larger track layout?
  2. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

ummm, the best way to run 2 trains on 1 track is to use TMCC command system. The command system allows you to control 2 trains on one track at whatever speed you want. Conventionally, this is a tough thing to do because different engines run at different speeds depending on what type of motor it has in it. If you are going to stay with conventional engines, I suggest adding a second track if you want to run 2 trains.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I'll second the tough to do two trains on one track conventionally. I used to find my two engines that ran about the same speed, then start adding cars to try to keep them the same. Also with the old mechanical reverser unit, I'd set both to permanent forward. If my friend was over we'd use his transformer and mine and make two blocks in the layout and trade the trains off. That meant we had a huge floor layout running through out the house though. I'd definitely look at TMCC, DCS or DCC for multiple trains on one track. How big a layout are you talking about?

Good luck,
  4. Spartalee

Spartalee Member

well I was gonna make it roughly the size of my basement so 40ft by 35ft section (the garage area) and I was hoping to have one big rail system but different trains so 1 train could run on on section and other trains in others but at some point the would have to be on the same rail to return to the station.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

For a system like that, you need to read up on Blocks and Cab control.
    For bllocks, you just need insulating pins in the center rail and extra lockons.
    Cab control needs a switch to connect each block to a selction of transformers. You can then switch transformers as you run trains around the layout.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

A layout that is 40 x 35 and you want to control it conventionally? Not the most efficient way to control trains on a layout that large. The work required to set up blocks and the extra transformers required to power them is not worth the effort IMO, compared to just hooking a TMCC command base to your transformer and using a CAB-1 remote to control multiple trains simultaneously.

You can even use TMCC to control conventional engines with a Powermaster (good to 180w), TPC 300 or TPC 400. These basically regulate power, so you still need a transformer.

I would recommend an MTH Z-4000 (190w each trottle, controls 2 trains) or a new Lionel ZW (180w each trottle, controls up to 4 trains). The new ZW comes with 2 180w power supplies and can accomodate 2 more for a total of 720w- just the ticket for that basement empire. this setup would not be cheap (about $365 plus another $200 for the extra 360w) but would be a good starting point for a large layout.