Multi Gauge Switch

Will_annand

Just browsing the Photos at the "Canada Science and Technology Museum" site and came across this gem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A multiple switch for narrow and standard gauge track
Colville, Prince Edward Island, Canada
[n.d.]
Photographer: unknown
Subject: Railroads -- Yards / Railroads -- Switches / Railroads -- Track / Railroad gauges
Image No.: CN002708
CSTMC/CN Collection

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=49&photoid=-201161239

Will_annand

Another view.
------------------------------------------
Multiple track switchers at the Charlottetown Railway Yard accommodate narrow and standard track gauge
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
[n.d.]
Photographer: unknown
Subject: Railroads -- Yards / Railroads -- Switches / Railroads -- Track / Steam locomotives / Railroad gauges / Charlottetown (P.E.I.)
Image No.: CN002711
CSTMC/CN Collection

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=49&photoid=1713102612

jkristia

very interesting switch, but I can't really figure out how it works where the standard gauge 'outer rail' crosses the narrow gauge outer rail, it looks like it is one piece rail, but of course there must be a gap, it is just not easy to see in the picture.

Jesper

Attachments

• MultiSwitch.jpg
    MultiSwitch.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 29

Pooh Bah
Jesper: that is called a K crossing (by some folks) or an obtuse crossing. It is also a switched crossing -- you can see the extra pipe work coming up from the switchstand (left side of picture). There are two bits of rail that swing to make the rail continuous. The straight one is in position in the picture; the curved one is out of the way.
Same idea is used on mainline railways on shallow crossings and double slip switches.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I can sort of see how this works David but it seems it would have been easier to have a frog there. After trying my hand at doing a bit of dual track modelling I sure wouldn't take on one as complex as this.

Pooh Bah
There are two considerations. One is to make it smooth (yeah, but they left the other frogs in!) The other is that a wheel may pick the shallow frog.
Also: there's no guard rail on the other side.
If you look at the ladders going into Toronto Union, ALL the double slips have switched frogs. None of the plain diamonds (at twice the angle) do.
This is a detail to consider adding if you're trying for your Master Model Railroader -- Trackwork Certificate.

The standard gauge frog is probably a "sprung frog". That is, the position of the frog is closed for the diverging route. When a locomotive or a car goes over the frog, the guard rail on the other side of the frog stops the wheel from climbing the frog and derailing. The "spring" in the frog is then forced open and the wheel goes through the frog. Ditto for all other wheels on the train.

If you want to see what a "sprung frog" looks like, visit the Smiths Falls Railway Museum. I just ran one of the lorries through the "sprung frog" but the frog didn't spring.

There was also similar dual trackage on the Bytown & Prescott from Prescott Junction on the Grand Trunk Railway to the town of Prescott. The GTR, built to the Provincial gauge of 5 1/2', had running rights over the Bytown & Prescott. The B&P was originally built to a gauge of 4' 8 1/2". You can find some photos of this dual trackage at the National Archives.