mudkip

C

cgutzmer

I can say with certainty that mudkip is not the problem. The problem is the other files that are available for download on that site. Links to that site are what are not permitted here. Thats all - do not take offense because there is none intended. :D
Chris

cgutzmer said:
I can say with certainty that mudkip is not the problem. The problem is the other files that are available for download on that site. Links to that site are what are not permitted here. Thats all - do not take offense because there is none intended. :D
Chris

Noones advertised that site in this thread though, it's only been mentioned because the source was asked for by a cardmodel member

Kaz

I personally believe that what was done here was for the best, a link to megaupload, or any of their ilk is usually a link to a pirated model. If you were the owner of that model then what was done here was for YOUR benefit. Why wasnt the link made directly to the originators site? If it was because the site is/was a haven for pirated models, then once again the moderator was quite correct in removing it.

goney3

But Kaz, not everyone can afford hosting so things like rapidshare and megaupload become main sources. Similarly that photobucket is used to post images. Because it is used doesn't necessarily mean its pirated. It would probably be better to error on the side of acceptance rather than jump on them for piracy, and have the designer come here to defend someone. I would hope Cardmodels.net has a friendly welcoming image, and not one of paranoia. Especially for new comers. :)

C

cgutzmer

To all concerned about this. Please note that the files are still available in the first post. Rick wanted to know where it came from to ensure it was not pirated. The site given was a site that is known to have pirated models. It was also discovered that this model is freely available to the public. So it stays - no problem. Rick was simply pointing out that the site mentioned has pirated materials and wanted to make sure that links to that site did not get posted here. The model is of course ok to have here. The method of delivery through rapidshare is what raised eyebrows. We dont see much of that so erring on the side of caution was prudent.

In short its a great model and its ok to be here. Hopefully this can be put to rest and the designer of the model understands that no harm was intended and it was just confirmation of being a free offering.
Chris

Amazyah

Lets just make this plain and simple.
A person shows up here and says here is a model I found, download it here.

The first thing that gets asked is, is it yours to give away or do you have permission from the designer to give it away?
If not, then you are pirating the model.

Russell

goney3

Amazyah, its like spelling assume ... "it makes an ass out of u and me."

Suspicions are granted, but that doesn't justify not having tact or diplomacy.
Thats just my $0.02 :grin:

cgutzmer, that was worded beautifully :)

Amazyah

Goney,
Assume has nothing to do with what happened in this thread.
You cannot post a model for download on this forum without the permission of the creator.

Russell

goney3

Well, then I find it humorous that Delko had to get dragged into this to vouch for his model (and post the original image as proof), as everyone assumed it was pirated... Delko hasn't posted since, now was making this a scene worth losing a card model designer and possibly other "internet finds" contributors?

I doubt using the "copy right law book" to hit members over the head with, is the best way of dealing with these situations. Assumption has everything to do with this thread.

Damage was done, I hope this thread lasts as an example of what not to do in a situation. I hope we can all learn from this. Tact and diplomacy are critical when dealing with other human beings.

Amazyah

Yeah, I guess we should just allow everyone to post whatever models they want to for download here, and we will just leave them be until we can prove otherwise. Not!
I would think that designers would be happy that we have such a policy.
It is not right to post models for download without the designers permission and you cannot convince me otherwise, no matter how you word it.
Nobody jumped anybody, nobody hit anyone over the head.
Some basic simple questions were asked, like do you have permission to post this guys design.
I'm sorry the designer took it the wrong way.
He should be happy because all we did was to protect him and his design.
I would much rather err on the side of caution and then repost the model than to let the designers rights be infringed upon.

Russell

C

cgutzmer

I believe the poblem here is that an inference was drawn that because it came from a site that has some pirated models that we were implying this was a pirated model. That was not the case. It was intended to verify that this particular model was a valid freebie which it was. The links were never removed (to my knowledge - please correct me if I am wrong) I dont recall anyone ever saying that mudkip was a pirated model just that verification was desired.

Unfortunately this came about at the same time as another heated thread involving copyright laws and everyone was in a bit of a tizzy (is that the right spelling?) and the two threads may have spilled over into each other.

Hopefully the designer will find out that no ill will was intended and share some more designs with us (if anyone knows him please do let him know). I know my daughter goes ga ga over pokemon and someday I might even get to make one for her after I get through my 20 year build q.....

Chris