MTH Track Problem

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Killer R2, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Killer R2

Killer R2 New Member

About 2 years ago, I bought some MTH track for my O scale train, and all of the sudden, there's no electricity flow. Is there any way to fix this, or should I just give up. If I were to give up, what kind of track is good for temperary layouts?
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Check to see if the brass taps at the end of the tracks are touching each other. The other problem that some of thier track has had is the the center rail sometimes comes loose from the tap on the bottom side of the track. The tabs are only heat sinked to the rails.
  3. Killer R2

Killer R2 New Member

Thanks, any advice is welcomed. Just incase I want to buy more track, should I switch to a different brand?
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I see Atlas prescribed a lot around here. I don't know if they make O Gauge track or not though. If all else fails, there's always Lionel. I've been running on the same pices of track for almost 30 years with no trouble.
  5. tracman165

tracman165 New Member

Agree with Cannonball, have been using for over fifty years, its understandable
    it must be cleaned now and again but it does the trick. I've done this and it
    works for me, its a long tedious job, but it keeps the power flowing.
    Try soldering in between breaks, or connections in the track. This can be
    done on the middle rail, or where you have a current loss, not necessarly
    on every track, just where there is a power loss. I have also used, I guess
    you would call it antenna wire under the train board, then hooking wires
    at strategic places from underneath to the track. I don't know if you
    notice or not but the further you get from the connection from the trans-
    former, the lower the power seems to get, this way you get a more even
    voltage to all of your track. Picked that up from one of the "O" gauge
    Hope this helps.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

The general consensus is that Fastrak is better for temporary layouts- its connector design works well and keeps the electrical continuity. Atlas track is better suited for permanent layouts, as the track joiners have a tendency to work loose if the track isn't secured.

7. Geno

Geno Member

sorry- duplicate reply
  8. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

One of my bigest things that I dislike about fast track is the noise and the cost. I have built several layouts with RealTrack and like it, but again there is that cost factor.

My home layouts is 027 tube track. If I were to do it over, it would be GarGraves track.

Like several have said, tube track has been around for over 100 years, and planty of it on the secondary market at very good price.

I don't see much GarGraves on the secondary market, must be once someone uses it, it stays on thier laayout ! :thumb:

9. Geno

Geno Member

Yep- Fastrak is pretty spendy for track that is noisy if you just mount it on plywood. And Lionel 027 isn't getting cheaper (Lionel recently raised prices for the whole 027 line).

Gargraves is about the best value on O gauge, yo can still buy a 37" straight phantom stainless section for about $5. Everyone else sells their long straight for about $8-11.