MTH DCS Question

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Grant Kerr, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Grant Kerr

Grant Kerr New Member

Posted this on the O scale forum as well.... I am looking for info from anyone who may have tried to get the bell and whistle to operate from using reed magnets on 2 rail MTH DCS systems rather than using the controller. Any and all options would be considered.
    Thanks in advance
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

What does the bell and whistle require to make it go? I momentary switch closure? Or does it need to be held closed for the duration of the whistle?
  3. Grant Kerr

Grant Kerr New Member

I believe in DCS mode that the loco recieves AC power with a DC signal impressed on the rails. To activate the Bell or whistle it needs to be told to do so by pressing the apropriate button. What I am trying to do is have this function operate by reed switches used as track magnets. In essence I am trying to find out if any one has tried to do this and if succesful how they did it.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The old Lionel whistling tenders worked that way, adding a DC signal to the AC, in the 1950s. I don't know anything about DCS, unfortunately. I do have a suggestion though. On the Classic Toy Trains (, O Gauge Railroading (, and Model Train Journal ( forums there are a number of people with experience with MTH DCS, so you might try posting the question there.
  5. Grant Kerr

Grant Kerr New Member

Thank you Dave. I will try these fora you have suggested and see how I go