MS Regina Maris, 1:250, Möwe Verlag

Andreas Kapaklis

Hi Everybody,

Last Wenesday I received a Package from Moduni with a small order....It included 4 ships.....Tirpitz, HMS Nelson, Graf Spee (All JSC 1:400) and the MS Regina Maris in 1:250 from Möve. So I started building it and I will presented to you in this thread. As soon as will proceed with the other I will also post them on the forum.

MS Regina Maris was built in 1966 as a Passenger Ship. It was the first new ship for Germany after WWII. In 1974 it was sold to the US and got the name Mercator and Mercator 1. In 1979 it was sold in Halifax and got the name Frankfurt. After a short while it got its old name (Regina Maris) again and in 1983 it was sold to Greece. In 1985 it was rebuilt with a new 4 meter long section and got the name Alexander. Actually it is the yaucht of a Greek Billionaire, Mr Latsis.

The data of the model are the following:

Publisher: Wilhelmshavener - Möwe Verlag
Scale: 1:250
Dimensions: 470 x 80 mm
Pieces: 357
Format of the model: 430 x 300 mm
GMI: 3

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

First images

Here are the first images from the model.

The construction of the framework of the ship

The portside balcony. You built it in before you cover the ship

Yesterday night I built the aft deck. It starts to look like a ship....

Few Comments: I was not very delighted from the quality of the model. The Polish publishers even in their old models are much better. Furthermore I saw that in on sheet the is about 5mm of printout missing. This is because it missed the border line of the laser printer that it is printed with. Also the frame work is not very stable. Also the design is very old....On the other hand it is a unique model of an intersting ship.....

Stay tuned

Cheers
Andreas

An interesting ship for sure. I'll be watching closely.

The problems with the printing will create a few challenges, and maybe make things a bit more interesting for your build... Or it will just drive you crazy.:roll:

Keep up the good work!

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Andreas!

Despite the problems you noted, she is looking very good indeed.
I agree, this is an interesting looking ship. I know you'll be able to overcome the problems as you go along.

I am looking forward to more updates as you continue.

Cheers!

Jim

Andreas Kapaklis

Small Progress

Hi Everybody,

thank you so much for all your kind compliments. It gives me more appetite to model and post the stuff in the Forum.
So, yesterday night there was some small progress in the work, which I think is interesting. I started two days ago with the promenade deck, which also has the swimming pool (It will come later). The railings on the model are just printed and you score them and fold them upright. This of course is not nice. So I decided remove the printed railings of the model and make my own. I was puzzled with what material I should use. I made some attemts yesterday with cooper wire but it is difficult to keep it straight even when using a template (I made one from a 1mm card). Then I had the idea to try it out using scrap card from the model and guess what....it working perfect. The railings you see are from card. I cut with the modeling knife and the ruler very thin bands of card (about 0,5mm) and then I glue them slowly together. It took me about a half an hour to complete about 15cm of railing. The plus of this technique is: I cheap...or to be more exact for free, it is very sturdy and it is more easy glued than any onter material. The drawback is that the band are kind of thick, this means there is a limit in the size. The height of this railing is 4mm. I finished of with brown marker to imitate the wooden grip of the railing.

I expect some comments on the railing as I find them looking nice, but I would also like to hear the opinion of other.

Cheers
Andreas

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Andreas!:)

Very nice trick using card for the railings! They came out great and you can't beat the price.

One thing to keep in mind, and not a critique of how great your rails look, but the lower railings are usually smaller in diameter than the top rail and the stanchions (the posts that support the rails). In a lot of modern ships, the top rail are actually flat with a teak or other wooden topping, to make it more comfortable to have passengers and crew lean on. :) You might want to consider using rounded materials for the stanchions which could either be thin wire or glue impregnated thread; I would imagine for this scale button thread would work great. You could use a smaller thread, probably ordinary thread, for the thinner rails, also impregnated with glue to stiffen them up a bit.

Since you removed the kit stanchions, the printed ones, you could use them as a template to build the rails off of the model. Just mount the printed rails on a piece of cardboard, cover it with wax paper and use it to figure out where to put the stanchions and small rails. You could cut the stanchions a bit longer than needed from stiff thread or wire, and tack glue them in place on the wax paper (perhaps using a strip of ordinary bond paper at below the base to keep them from moving around, again just glue the bottom halves to the bond paper).

Once the stanchions are in place for that run of the railing, glue the thinner thread railings in place and let the assembly dry. Then, you could add a thin strip of on top for the top wooden rail. It might work best if you used a thinner white strip first topped by the final wood-colored top rail piece which would be slightly larger. When that dries, you then trim the bottom of the stanchions to their proper height and glue it onto the model.

Using the printed railings would be great to figure out the slight curve you need for some parts of the railing where they are curved around the deck and not running in a straight line...the printed sheet would show the right arc for the railings that you need.

This is just a suggestion as your rails as built look great as is but the flatness you mention can be avoided by using thread or wire for the stanchions and lower railings.

Looking forward to more as you continue on this beautiful build!

Cheers!
Jim

Andreas Kapaklis

Railings

Hi Jim!!!!

Thank you for your kind words and the tips you gave. I will use the technique you describe, but not in this model and this is because I want the railings to be uniform. So for that reason I will continue in this model with this technique. Besides as you can see I have also other projects waiting :grin:
I wont post any pictures yet, beacause I need time to do it, but there has been significant progress in the works. I built the foredeck and the I am currently buiding the boat deck. I hope tommorow to make the railings for the boat deck do that I can continue with the upper deck of the boat....

Stay tuned
Cheers

Andreas

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Andreas!

Well, the comments are well deserved, my friend.:)

I understand your wanting the rails to be the same throughout, and my suggestions are only one way to work with the railings, I'm sure others out there have their own way of tackling this problem. I hope when you do try it, though, my comments are of some help.

I'm looking forward to more photos when you can.

Cheers!
Jim

Andreas Kapaklis

Progress - swimming pool

Hi everybody!!!

It's time to put some new stuff on the progress of the ship......

Since summer is on the way and we will need to cool down its time to start building a pool........nice feature of the model, a little bit frustrating though to built it......

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Fore deck

Hi again,

The next step was to built the fore deck. I only show here the deck. Meanwhile I have also installed the mechanism for the anchor and more or less the fore deck is complete....

It starts now to take its shape as a cruise ship....

Cheers

Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Boat deck

Here we go again,

The boat deck must be built. It was a little bit time consuming to built the boat dek because I replaced the railing with scratch built ones but it was worth it. No you will ask why the name boat deck....the will come to and hopefully never to be used.

Here you can see a general image of the Regina Maris with the installed boat deck.

And here is an image on how the aft deck looks like.....Very nice ship design....a classic.

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Bridge deck

Hi!!

This is my final post for today. I made this picture a half an hour ago. I have built and installed the bridge deck but it has not been glued down to the hull completely yet. I want to do this in patience. Furthermore I have to make the railings for this deck and they will be long.....I will need a couple of days to go on to the next step.

Enjoy the updates
Andreas

Very nice Andreas!

Those rails look very good. I'm a big chicken when it comes to railings... I usually go with the brass photo etch rails. Keep up the good work.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Andreas!:)

She sure is starting to look like a real cruise ship...coming along great!

Are you going to put any water into that pool?:-D

She's really looking good!

Cheers!

Jim

Andreas Kapaklis

I'm Back!!!!

Hi Everybody,

Sorry to be away for so long but I didn't have much time or much apetite to model, so I just made a small pause.
But now I am back and the MS Regina Maris is almost finished.....she starts to look very good. I hope by the end of the month to finish it.
Sadly due to a computer problem (For some kind of reason the computer at work cannot identify .jpg files....:-? :-? :-? :-? and I am not the administrator :mad: :mad: ) I can't upload the pictures yet. Please have some patience for the next couple of weeks and then the images will pay you off.
Stay tuned.

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Fotos

Ok Guys,

here are the long awaited (I hope :) pictures from the construction of the MS Regina Maris.

In the following two images I have just attached the side walls of the ship. The walls attached good with not great difficulties. The only problem is that I had some uneven points of the internal structure which resulted on some uneven areas on the walls. You can observe this in the first picture at the height where the superstructure begins on the waterline.

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

More Photos

Hi again,

here are some more photos from the construction of the aft deck and more specifically of the stairs of the aft deck. It was a lot of work but in my opinion it paid off with all that handmade railing. I know it could be better but for the time being I am satisfied.

Here is the picture of the finished funnel. You can see a blacker moon shaped area on the top. This is because the piece that was supposed to cover the funnel was smaller than it should be. So I made a piece from a 1mm cardboard and I painted it black. It does not look so good but better than nothing. I don't know if this is due to a falt that I made during its construction or a problem of the model (I think the second one).

Cheers
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Upper deck

Hi again,

here are two more views of the finished top deck. You can also see that I have attached the railing.
I was very pleased with the result of this area and also with the detail of the model.

I hope you will enjoy the pictures
Andreas

Andreas Kapaklis

Boat deck

These are the last pictures for today,

You can see from a "Piers" perspective and a birds perspective the boat deck and its Davits. I was very pleased with the detail and the fitting of this area.

In the mean while the ship is finished. I just need to take pictures of it and as soon as I will do it I will post them.

Cheers
Andreas