MRC Syncro Sound System

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kerrskountry, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Hi y'all

First post but have been reading this forum for a while. It's really great and I can pick up a lot about the hobby. Even more than that other forum.

Question. I am working on a small 6 x 10 table top layout in DC. Thought about DCC but since I'm really the only one using it and run no more than two locos at a time I continued with DC since I pretty much know how it works. I want to add a sound system of some sort and saw the Syncro Sound System by MRC. I'm modeling mostly steam this go around with several older locos (30years plus) which were passed on to me by my dad. Is this system worth the investment or would I be better off with the MRC 312 independent sound unit with the two external speakers? Any input on sound systems (non DCC) would be appreciated.

A have around 10 steam locos of which 7 or so need electrical work to get running. They range from a "Big Boy" to a 2-4-0 American, all metal and weigh a lot. Most are from Mantua and I couldn't even tell what the model names were without further research.

I'll be posting in the future and will be looking for advice on getting these classics running. Looking forward to chatting with you all soon.

Rockaway Beach, MO
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Welcome to the gauge Joe!

If you post some pics of the loco's, I'm sure someone will help ID them if you like.

Paul (Shamus) has the two speaker system and loves it.
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Welcome, Joe
    I debated about the 312 but decided on the MRC 7000 sound and power. I don't know what the 312 is like, but I sure like my 7000 S&P.

4. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I meant to add that it uses 2 speakers.

5. kchronister

kchronister Member

Welcome Joe. I'm in the process of converting two old, heavy, metal Mantua locos to DCC, so definitely have "had 'em apart" lately and might have some info to offer if you have questions. I also have the Mantua 4-4-0 American you mention, but simply no way to DCC-ify that one (and I'm missing the driveshaft from tender to loco anyhow, so it's gathering dust at the moment...). Generally I find the old Mantua's to be good solid runners with lots of pulling power (all that weight holding the wheels down), so I think you'll be pleased with 'em once they're running.

I use a couple of MRC's sound-enabled decoders and am very happy with them, assume their non-DCC stuff is equally well done.

FYI if you need parts, the place to go is Model Power in Farmingdale, NY ( They're the ultimate "inheritors" of the Mantua line (and have brought out the "Mantua Classics" stuff you may see for sale nowadays).
  6. wjstix

wjstix Member

Well if I understand your question, you're asking about running DC trains with an under-the-table sound system as opposed to an "onboard" system. I have used the earlier version of the MRC sound system, the one that connects between the power pack and the track and offers both diesel and steam with horn/whistle. That system worked pretty well (I've recently changed to DCC and it won't work with command control), the diesel sound was OK and steam 'chug' was pretty good actually. I would suspect the newer system (which allows you to use a lot of different sounds like the bell, etc.) would have much better sound quality; I would think it would work quite well for a small to medium sized layout like yours. Certainly a lot easier and cheaper then putting sound into each unit!!
  7. petey

petey Member

I have both onboard and an MRC 312 unit. As good as those tiny onboard speakers are, they cannot produce any base. The 312 sounds better. On the other hand the 312 does not produce all the sounds that the BLI onboard does, and in the higher ranges the onboard sounds great.
  8. tweet469

tweet469 New Member

I posted a question on MRC sound on the DCC site, but since you all are on the subject maybe I could sneak it in here also. I plan on installing a soundtrax decoder in on of my diesels. I've read reviews that give it high marks, but at over $100 each I will not use many. I want to install a MRC sound decoder in a second unit that will be MU'ed with the soundtrax loco. Has anyone done this and if so how did they sound together?
  9. kchronister

kchronister Member

I wouldn't do it. I have both and am a fan of the MRC as a good, affordable way to add sound. But the MRC and soundtraxx units simply sound different, have different settings & parameters, horn sounds, etc... I think running them in separate locos is not a big deal (I do myself), but running them MU'd together is probably going to sound pretty odd.