MRC Sound systems

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by topkick, Sep 6, 2005.

1. topkick

topkick New Member

Does any one out there have any experiance or comments about the MRC 7000 transformer? I recently purchased a MRC 312 system for my layout and although it sounds good the steam chuff has no adjustment for speed and it plays at a really slow speed.

Before I make another expensive mistake, I'd like to hear from other model railroaders who use or have used the 7000.

Thanks one and all.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Welcome to The Gauge!

Don't have any direct experience with MRC. However, if the unit is still new, can you take it back to where you got it?

3. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I have to admit...

...I bought a MRC 7000 on ebay a few months ago. I had heard one some years ago in a hobby shop and thought it sounded a little thin but since I run N Scale- what the heck. I can't afford DCC and sound and my throat was always getting hoarse from imitating loco sounds.

I actually had time to hook it up this weekend and tested a couple locos I'd bought a few months ago with it. I was rather pleased considering the speaker was sitting on a piece of glass table top on a wood frame coffee table (along with a few pieces of track). I thought if I mount the speaker in a box- which they recommend, it'll sound better. I like the fact that you can play with the rate and have the prime mover run up the RPMs just like the big boys before the engine ever moves- a little fun.

It's certainly not Broadway Limited (the HO guys) but for my bit of fun, I like it!

4. topkick

topkick New Member

Thanks for the info. I hope I'll hear more from people who actually have this transformer. I have 2 broadway limited trains and if the sound comes close to them I'd be real happy.
  5. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

mrc 7000

I've had the MRC7000 for a couple years and I think it is great. I believe the sound you get will depend greatly on the speakers used, tinny speaker, tinny sound. I haven't got great speakers, small ones picked up at a yard sale, but they make it sound quite decent. I'm well pleased.

Lynn :thumb:
  6. topkick

topkick New Member

Thanks Lynn,

I've got some speakers from an old surrond sound system so I think I'll use them if I decide to go this way.