MRC decoders

L

lester perry

I just bought an MRC sound decoder and I am not very happy with it. I can't get a smooth start and the sound will not synchronize with Loco (steam). I am considering a MRC brilliant decoder (steam again) will I have a lot of trouble with it? I have soundtraxx LC and tsunami and have no problems except dirt putting out headlights. Should I just write off MRC?
Les

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I have an old MRC diesel sound decoder in an HO Proto2K SD50. While the sound quality is not superb, it runs very well as long as I keep my track clean (much better after I powered much of the track via power buses). I was went from no sound to this one engine and I LOVED it.

I have a new Broadway Ltd. AC6000 with Quantum Sound - the quality of the sound is MUCH better and you can control the volume (big advantage). I can't access all functions via my MRC Prodigy but plan to go with Prodigy Advanced once the railroad's budget looks good enough.

I love MRC's simple handheld stuff and the price is good. I'm anxious to try a Brilliance decoder but the cost is steep for stinky diesels - steam is another beast and I can't comment on that.

Problematic speaker installation can make any decoder sound terrible - did you feel like you got a good install on the speaker? Tight fitting . . . sealed space behind the speaker . . . reasonable pathway for the sound to escape, etc?