MRC decoder in an SW

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I have an older SW Athearn in HO, I wired in a MRC decoder yesterday, runs great...the problem is that there isn't enough clearance inside the shell and I can't put it on with the decoder in....any suggestions???

Thanks

Rick

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Chris, yea decoder is too big...its an older one, I'm thinking I may have to get a newer one and see if it will fit. I have a couple of F7s that the MRC will fit in.

Rick

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I would be hesitant to install a N or Z scale decoder into an older Athern loco. They draw a lot more current then newer model.

While they may fit, the current may be too great and at least shut down the decoder due to overload.

cwclark

Dec 6, 2006
Crosby Texas
www.webshots.com
I have a similar model ..an atlas MP15DC..I put an NCE D13SR decoder in it and it barely fit.... Even though it had an 8 pin plug, I had to take out the male pin and solder each decoder wire to the female plug above the motor for it to fit there and then pointed the decoder and the wiring harness towards the front head light... it barely made it, but it did. At first i tried to put it in the cab but no luck... it just wouldn't fit there at all. ..chuck