Mr. Templar's Raton Snake Valley

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Harp, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Harp

Harp New Member

I hope the image comes through. I love this plan and hope this is not too lame a question. How do I determine the radius of the curves in HO scale?

Attached Files:

2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Don't recognize the layout, others here might. You can figure it out graphically. If the squares are 12-inches. Enlarge or reduce the layout so the squares are 1-inch. Then just use a caliper to measure the radius or draw two lines, each perpendicular to the curve at a different point on the curve, and where they intersect will be the center. Measure the radius.

3. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Just eye ballin it looks like about 3 squares accross the tightest curve, so if its 12" square, that's 36" diameter, div by 2 for radius is about 18" :) I'm tired... those guys are still in chat...
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello Harp and welcome to the gauge, So you like MY PLAN do you, that was the first published H0 article and trackplan back in 1994 Model Railroading Magazine. "Raton Snake Valley" also was out on Video at that time. Not any more.
    Okay, you asked about the radius, Well as the plan is H0, each square represents 1' sq ft on the plan, that should tell you that the first big curve left hand side is around 4'-6" overall. Your best bet is to draw out the squares on you baseboard and try and copy the drawing to it. I have many photo's of this railroad, so if you need anything, just ask, oh yeah, I still have my copy of the video.

5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Is there a bad one Shamus? :D :D :D

This radius issues brings up a question about your logging layouts, sir, and that is, what is the minimum radius you like to use? I want to ask you personally, because you push the enveloup on the grades... over 5X what most folks call too steep :) So, do you ever go to less than an 18"er in HO?

BTW: Harp, if you didn't gather, Mr. Templar IS Shamus, so you have the ultimate teacher offering you guidance (hint hint hint) (or should I say, nudge nudge wink wink).
  6. billk

billk Active Member

Hey Harp - Did you come to the right place or what? ;)
  7. Harp

Harp New Member

I think I did!

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I knew Mr. Templar as Shamus, he e-mailed me about the "The Gauge" site. I had never run across it before. I am still trying to locate that old MRy issue.

Thanks again.

8. Harp

Harp New Member

About those pictures......

Mr. Templar, I and I am sure others would be very interested in seeing a few of the Raton Snake Valley pix. Now about that video ....

Thanks again,

9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

What about the video, I have a copy only, and it aint for sale :D:D:D

Yes I can take my shay down to 16" if I wanted to but leave it at 18" for safety. LOL

10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

safety fast! ;)