OK Fellow Gaugers,

What is the purpose of this beast?
I know, who else does?

Attachments

• snowblower2.jpg
    snowblower2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 170
Isn't that one of the beasts from Tremmors? :D :confused: :D

Nice shot, have you seen one in action? I haven't, but heard that they are loud.

Greg Elems

I like some of those answers; but, all kidding aside, I believe the beast is an ice melter using a jet engine. I've read about them but never seen one until now.

railohio

Dunno who's that is, but I know Conrail had a bunch of them. I remember an article from TRAINS about their use in the Buffalo area a few years ago. I saw one in use in Stanley Yard near Toledo. Quite a sight.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
why, of course, it's a steam engine........you turn the jet engine on....and it makes lots of steam, out of all that snow and ice! :D ;) :D ;) :D

Goattee

When we were in St.Johns at the CN shop in 99 they were getting this thing ready. It is for blowing snow off the switches without melting it they said.

Attachments

• jet-snowblower-2.jpg
    jet-snowblower-2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 115

ceebeenq

that thing

About a month ago I was at the BNSF yard in Galesburg IL and they were using a similar machine to blow out switches. (lots of snow and ice, about 10 degrees at the time)
Sounded like a small jet. Seemed to be purely high speed air, no heat involved- I guess. ** VERY loud **
had never seen one before.
. The one I saw looked more like the CN machine posted in this thread.
Way cool
:thumb:
cbnq