Movin' on up!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by TinGoat, Jan 16, 2004.

1. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

For my Birthday, Ruby bought me a Bachmann G-Scale locomotive.

It looks like there is a garden railroad in our future....

This locomotive is prime kit-bash material!

The "Annie" is a Bachmann "Big Hauler" ten wheeler. (4-6-0)

It is 1:22.5 scale which works out to being meter gauge (~39") which was the first Bachmann entry into Large Scale and equivelent to the LGB equipment that was available at the time. (Mid 1980's)

All of the newer Bachmann G-Scale stuff is 1:20.3 which works out to 36" gauge on 45mm track.

It is from the Emmett Kelley Circus Train set.

We like the general paint scheme, but I can't stand the looks of the tender that this loco is pulling.

Firstly, I am going to re-scale it to 1:24 (1/2" = 1') so that the 45mm track scales out to 42" gauge. (A.K.A. Hn42)

For the Kit-Bash, I want to convert the Ten-Wheeler to a Pacific (4-6-2) by adding a 2-wheel trailing truck. For this, I will need to lengthen the boiler and Fire-Box and also widen the Fire-Box.

I also want to convert the Cab to a Canadian type "All Weather Cab".

The Loco will be an Oil-Burner, so for the Tender I was thinking of scratch building a Slope-Backed Tender.

But this isn't appropriate for a Road Locomotive....

So I have to choose between a Whale-Back or a Vanderbuilt Tender.

Garden Railways Magazine February 2003 issue has a How-to for building a Whale-Back Tender for the "Annie" that would make this job easier, but I have my heart set on a VanderBuilt Tender....

I'll keep you posted on my progess, over in the Scratching And Bashing Forum, after the loco arrives in the mail in about a week or two....
  2. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Congrats on your birthday and your gift! :cool:
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

can you get Omer Lavallee's book on CP Steam Locos or Clegg&Corley's CN Steam Locos? These should give you some ideas of which loco you want. Also the BRMNA books that started with Canadian Pacific in the Rockies (Vol. 1 to 10). If you go for the Vandy tender, you will probably salvage the trucks off the current one.
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Talk like that will get you booted out of the conspiracy Ron.:D :D :D
  5. TinGoat

Bite my tongue... :D
  6. TinGoat

Freelanced Newfie Rocket...

Yes, I was planning on using the trucks of the origional Tender...

So it will be a smaller 4-axle tender instead of the larger 6-axle Vanderbuilt tenders...

The Bachmann "Annie" is a generic Baldwin locomotive, which is perfect for this bash.

Many of the NewFoundLand Pacifics were built by Baldwin...

NewFoundLand Railway 42" Gauge Pacific....

NewFoundLand Railway

This is going to be a Freelanced Model, but I am collecting all sorts of pictures and diagrams to guide me.

The NewFoundLand Railway was "Absorbed" by CN and so the CN books may contain pictures of the NewFoundLand Pacifics.

CN also used of Vanderbuilt Tenders, but not in New Found Land.

So I won't be following any exact prototype because of my choice of using a Vanderbuilt Tender and a "Canadian All Weather Cab"...