Mounting a Tortoise machine?

willist

Dec 21, 2004
Tequesta. Fl
I'm getting ready to install my 1st Tortoise machines and I have a dumb question, Where do I position the switch points/throwbar ? Do I need to have the switch thrown in one direction or do I have them centered until I hook up the power?

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You do not need the points centered. The Tortoise is very forgiving in terms of installation. Just make sure that it is centered underneath the track work as closely as possible when mounting it. I have done almost 20 so far. They get easier the more you do.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I don't remember exactly, but I think there is a template in the instructions. I position mine on top of the points and drill the holes straight down. Position it so the holes are the same distance outside the ties (or rails) on both sides.
But they have a large throw and are forgiving of the small errors.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
I'm mounted dozens on my layout and from what I remember the tortoise is forgiving but also has a limit for the switch to be able to fully open and close so make sure when you put the wire through the switch hole in the tie ( I used peco) that with the switch fully thrown the rail on the switch touches fulley then back in the open position , sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking to get it perfect.This may help you out a bit for mounting http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111605&page=6