Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by josve, Aug 18, 2006.

1. josve

josve Active Member

Hello all!
    I'd like to share some of my pics from my last vacations with you!

It's hard to be back at home after almost 2 weeks up in the Norwegian mountains.I'd like to share my wonderful experience with you!
    So here comes the story.......

First out was my annual trip to Hardangervidda, the largest national park in Norway, located on the high mountain platou of western Norway.Typical hight is above 1200 meters.To get into the bush we use seaplanes, restricted to hunters and fishermen with the right to fly :)
    This is our seventh trip into this area.

Here we have our plane loaded.....a Cessna 206 Turbo Stationair, for those who are intersted in planes as myselves.

Ready for takeoff

After 12-15 minutes we are ready for we are in the middle of a steep turn to get up against the wind.

Here we are in front of the cabin owned by my good friend Jan, to the left.
    The guy to the right is My younger brother.We had to carry all our pargas for about 25-30 minutes from the lake and up to the cabin.It was a very heavy trip as usual.....

The lake we are fishing in lies about 45-50 minutes from the cabin.

Our good friend Otard XO payd us some visits :)

Overview of the fishinglake taken after a days walk to some other promissing lakes.

And of course we got some nice fish!The biggest here is 1,2kilos!

We got an amount of 173 trouts.

And here is my share :)

Too bad it's a whole year to the next expedition.....

After my trip to the Hardangervidda, it was time to leave for our own cabin up in our local mountains.This time by foot.
    Here is my wife and my youngest kid on our way up the mountain.
    The cabin lies on an altitude of 620m above sea.

Here it is, with the view against the waterfall and the glacier.

Some nature

And of course it was time for some fishing :)
    My kid in action!

proud little guy with a trout just above 0,5 kilos

More nature

Hope you enjoyed the shots!
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great pictures you just shared with us.

Thank you thank you.

Is this planet beautiful or what?

So much to see...
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Georgeous country! It looks like you were on top of the world! I'll bet it felt like that too!

Thanks for sharing your trip Johnny. Too bad you cannot share those trout, they look mighty tasty!

4. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Outstanding pictures!!!! Happy to hear that you and the family had such a great time...

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thanks for sharing. If I didn't look real close you could have convinced me that you were in Alaska. I feel right at home. The give aways that it's not Alaska: the stonework on the cabin, the species of trout, and a rowboat instead of a canoe or kayak.

I sort of expect brown trout(Salmo trutta) from Europe but from my trout identification card those look like brook trout(Salvelinus fontinalis). But then they are redder that the brookies that I've seen.

6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Deeelissshus Looking Catch!

Thanks Johnny, I am now very hungry..., those salmon have the look of dinner delight written all over them. Do you freeze them or brine, light smoke and freeze or a little of each or do like the bears do, get fat while the fishin's good...,

Thanks for the pictures, you've got me thinking of a good Norwegian fish rub with juniper berrys and...., -Gil
  7. josve

josve Active Member

The trout over here is the original Salmon Trutta, the colour varies a bit out of where it lives.This trout is not to be taken for "brown" trout that mostly lives his whole life in small rivers, and not in lakes.
    I can assure you that it tastes absolutely delicious :)
    Inside it has the deep red colour it gets from the "stuff" it eats (don't know the english words). It feeds mostly on a small shrimp looking thing we call Marflo, and some tiny tiny lobster looking things,from those it gets the red color inside, and of course insects. We try our best to imitate the insects it eats into dry flies :)
    Other trout that lives in lakes without the small shrimp and the kreps is mosly white inside, and don't taste as good as the high mountain one.
    All the trout I catch during the season I freeze.I put them into portions of ca 5 fishes in each container and add water so it is no air inside, and freeze them.That way we have fresh trout almost once in every 14'th day or so for almost the whole year.The salmon I have cought in my local river,I intend to smoke when the season is over.And one of them I will invite my whole family to eat, baked in the oven with a lot of carrot,different kind of onions and other vegetables.......mmmmmmm
    And still there are several weeks left for outdoor activities before the skiing season sets in.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You are making my mouth water Johnny!
    You must stop the teasing at once, it is cruel!

Just kidding.
    They even look delicious!
    You are one lucky guy and so is your wonderful family.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us Johnny.

9. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've seen rainbow trout from mountain lakes that had pinkish colored flesh. Both brown trout and rainbow trout can be invasive species. Fishermen like to introduce them and then they outcompete cutthroat and other native species. Very tasty --all of them. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado.

I don't expect to be skiing here in Anchorage for another few months. The snow doesn't stay until late October or early November.

10. josve

josve Active Member

Luckily we don't have the rainbow in our lakes in the mountais.....
    I know a lot of fishermen likes them, they are quite popular in Denmark in the put and take ponds they have there.
    The trout we get from our hight platou lakes are as red inside as they already was smoked :)
    I hope the snow will stay away for several months yet, even if it's normal to have snow in our mountains in late august.....
    When we used to have our annual fishing trip the last week in august, we often had snow in the we moved it to early august instead :)
    Both for the light and cold.....first in august we have an hour longer walking light than in the last week of august, and that counts when you want to be out as long as possible :) and it is still kind of summer up there....with temperatures around 15 degrees celsius in the day and down to 5-7 in the night.
    So tomorrow I'm going with my kids for a little trip to a lake I have wanted to visit for years.
    I might bring my camera and show you some pics, if the weather is nice enought for a mountain trip.
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes, I too was raised in the Rockie Mountains of Colorado. I was born in Ft Carson in Colorado Springs and our family spent as much time in the mountains as we could. The rainbow trout were abundant and very tasty.
    I sure miss it. That was 30 years ago and 2,000 miles from where I am now.
    Funny how life can just take you places.
    Now I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.
    They have a beauty all their own but are more like hills to me after living in the Rocky Mountains.
    Your adventure, Johnny, makes me want to take one myself.
    I, for one, would love to see more pics from your next outing!

12. josve

josve Active Member

Sad to hear far away from the goodies :)
    And I guess smoky mountains will never come close to Colorado (from what I have seen on pictures)
    I could never lived somwhere where I couldn't use mother nature for all she's worth.
    Was out the other day and picked 20 liters of blueberries in the forest above my parents in laws small sheep/fruit farm, that will be nice jam :)

And today me and my kids went for a small mountain walk to a lake I have wanted to spend some time when we had driven for an hour and parked the car and was ready to oldest daughter(15) announced she should see the Pirates of the Caribeean 19:00.That ment we had to walk for 2 hours in the mountains....spend ONE hour at the lake and then start the return so she wouldn't miss the movie.So we walked for 2 hours in very nice weather.Filled our drinkingbottles in the small streams we passed and had a very nice trip.The lake was just as I had seen from the plane the other week, and after we had eaten some food, and had a cup of coffee,it was time to do some fishing....I was in contact with 2 fishes, the 15 minutes I was fishing, so I'LL BE BACK!!
    So here are some pics from todays trip.

Here we have a small 5 minutes break, to have some water after going upwards for 45 minutes

Here we can see the lake we are heading for in the background

We finally was there, and here are the lake, or a part of it actually

Some rain arrived when we should start on our return to the sivilisation

So we had a great trip on this sunday in August!
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, that place is really beautiful! The scenery is spectacular!

I can tell your yougest enjoyed it by the two thumbs up.
    He must be a chip off the O'l block. (Slang for, just like his Dad)

Thanks, once again for sharing that trip with us Johnny.

Oh, I still have nature at my easy access.
    I really love going up into the mountains during the Fall!
    I am about a 30 minute drive from being in the mountains, where they shot the films "Dirty Dancing" and "Last of the Mohicans".
    I will share some pics when I go, probably in late September or October.

14. josve

josve Active Member

Yes please share some pics Russell!
    I love to see pics from other parts of the world!
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

If I find the time, I'll dig out some shots of myself and "She who must be obeyed" stalking the wily rainbow trout of British Columbia.