mountain advice

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Hello, I am working on my first mountain and could use some tips. There is a tunnel going through it. I started its shape with "GREAT STUFF" foam insulation. That just needs to finish curing.
Next I was planning to cover that with plaster cloth. Than I was going to paint it and start land scaping it with grass, bushes, trees, rocks and any thing else I can think of.

Would any of you do it differently? I have no experience and know there are members that have done this more than once. I just can't find any posts with good advice at the moment. I have seen lots of great posts with pics of awsome mountains in the past and wish I knew how to save the links to them.

Thank you,

Roch

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Cool,
I must have a good game plan.

I will try to post some pics once it looks better. Got to get back to work on it soon now that the foam has cured. I hope I don't screw up with the plaster cloth. :p

Roch

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
Is your mountain solid foam with the tunnel carved into it? If its along the edge of your layout you may want to make some kind of access hole along the sides to get to the inside of your tunnels in the event a train would derail inside the mountain.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Is your mountain solid foam with the tunnel carved into it? If its along the edge of your layout you may want to make some kind of access hole along the sides to get to the inside of your tunnels in the event a train would derail inside the mountain.

Thank you for the advice. My mountain tunnel is made from an empty tobaco can cut in 2 from top to bottom. I stapled the halves together at an angle with strips of cardboard. It is on a curve and I figured out pretty quick that I would have to get inside of it to save a derailed train. I think something big lives in there that likes to derail my trains. sign1 I covered the tunnel with Great Stuff spray foam sealent. It looked like a brain before I started covering it with plaster cloth. It is being scaped now that the earth colored paint is dry. Oh, I designed it to completely lift off of my base of pink styrofoam.
It is starting to look cool.

Roch