Motor Mounting

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Steve Lancaster, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Steve Lancaster

Steve Lancaster New Member

I am trying to mount a can motor to a dicast Shay frame. I have seen photos of
    what appears to be a motor mounted in putty. Can anybody tell me a good putty to use? I would be interested if this is a good method or if ther are better ways of doing this.
    Thanks Steve
  2. shortliner

shortliner Member

Many use silicone caulk - I haven't, but it seems to work
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I havent used caulk, but I have used goo from walthers with success. Just make sure the motor shaft lines up well with the gearbox shaft.

4. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

:thumb: I bought a Rivarossi 4-6-2 Pacific, new for $10 once. The hobby shop that I bought it from was going out of bussiness and someone had cannibalized
    it for the motor. I ordered a motor from NWSL and after removing the original plastic mounting cradle, I mounted the motor in clear silicon. Since the silicon absorbs all the vibration, it is the quietest, smoothest running Steam engine that I own!!!

Texas Chief
  5. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Silicone Adhesive Caulk. I have used this several times with complete success. Mere caulk isn't really enough. You need the adhesive version.
  6. Steve Lancaster

Steve Lancaster New Member

Thanks for all of your help. A little white silcon marine chaulk helped resurrect a vintage
    2Tk Shay.It is running now for some tuning.