motor help!!!

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by ty007cars, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

I have a t3 with a 12x2 orion motor.it is fast and all but it dosent take long for the battery to run down.my friend has a rustler with a fantom stock motor and it gos almost fast as mine and lasts along time.what is wrong? do i need to get a motor like his? i want one as fast as mine but with lots of run time. please let me know.
    ty
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

A lot depends on your gearing, what kind of battery you are using and that nothing is wrong with the drivetrain on your truck.
  3. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

it has a 18 pinion,a 87 spurr.and a 2400 nicad
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

Is the motor or ESC or battery hot when you get through running it?
  5. What ESC and batteries do you use?
  6. Jshaff15

Jshaff15 Member

better yes what ESC and batteries does he use and what gearing does he use??
  7. Hahaha, oops, thats what I meant to say. Guess I better start paying more attention to what I type.
  8. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

i have a lrp fi pro reverse with promaxx 2400s
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

10. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

the battery gets warm but not the esc,the motor kinda gets warm
  11. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

12. mastmec

mastmec Member

Does this happen with all your battery packs? And are you discharging them completely, let them cool down and recharging them? What amp rate are you charging them at?
  13. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

it happens with all my batt packs i charge them at 4 amps
  14. mastmec

mastmec Member

Are you discharging them completely?
  15. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

no i a not, i run the batterys out until the truck wont move
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

You should get a 1157 light bulb (for autos) and make a harness to plug into the battery to completely drain it down (NiCD only) Do this after you run it down like you are doing. I don't think that is your problem though.
    Things to check: Your battery connector, see if its getting hot while you run it, if it is, replace it, use a good quality connector like Deans or similar.
    Your motor, brushes worn, comm with burn spots, dirty (clean it out) lube bearings or bushings, the timing, make sure its not above 20deg. advanced.
    Make sure all wiring is ok.
    I reread the thread, how old are your batteries, they could just a little out of shape and need a good cycling. Also running with that motor, when all is OK, you should get 5 mins out of it. Or you could get some higher capacity batteries.
  17. ty007cars

ty007cars Member

that may be my problem...timing? how do you know if its above 20 deg?
  18. mastmec

mastmec Member

1) Why does my motor run slow and drain my batteries quickly?
    Normally the reason is a deterioration in the brush and commutator condition. If you have several runs on the same motor without maintenance, chances are the brush
    has too many heat cycles on it, has turned colors,and no longer makes good
    contact. This causes the brush to wear the comm more than it should. The end
    result is a motor that arcs, runs slow, and uses more battery than it did
    when it was new.
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

Do you have marks on the side of the can on the label? The mark on the endbell is by the two screws, one one each side. As you look down on the endbell, you advance the timing by turning it counterclockwise, retard it by turning it clockwise. For each millimeter you rotate the timing mark on the endbell equals about 3 degrees of timing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.