Motor Heat Sink

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by electric motor head, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i run alot of cells on an onroad set up for the versatile and inexpensive Traxxas Rustler.i often burned out Armatures but now that i have installed a heat sink i havent burned one out yet.

does anyone else run heat sinks on thir motors?
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I run 1 on my Mini quake. I can't run 1 on my other cars because chassis parts are in the way always.
  3. redheat

redheat Member

Most motors are set with vents that blow out heat and bring in ambient are to cool the motor, RED
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

true but that doesen't always help. When u run say a 10 turn motor with a high ratio your gonna do what ever it takes to get the wormth away from the motor so it will run cooler and faster.
  5. redheat

redheat Member

Look at your heat sink , It has fins that cover the vents which restricks the flow of air . I have a sink that I know longer use for that reason, RED
  6. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

no matter what the motor can is GONNA get hot so the heat sink helps dispurse the heat
  7. redheat

redheat Member

Well do what you want . Ive been racing electric motors for some time now tried the heat sink when it came out and went back to not using it because the vents did not vent . Guys at the track dont use them either but if you think that they help you then use it in fact I'll give you one that I have sitting around because your a cool dude for S/H only if you want it , RED
  8. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ill think about it. Thanks for the offer.
  9. redheat

redheat Member

What is there to thing about FREEBY......RED
  10. my heat sink has vents so it doesnt cover the vent holes on a motor can.most motors dont even have vent holes.did you ever see a heat sink before?i mean a good one.red you are so full of crap you can taste it.
  11. to instal the heat sink in my car i needed to cut out some unneeded meat from the chassis to get it to fit.i wouldnt recommend just anyone to do that.you have to know what you are doing if not you can ruin gears in the tranny in my particular application.
  12. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

yea well if your thinking I don't your wrong. ON my cars there is no way to really cut anything out in order to put 1 on. So far everything has gone fine.
  13. the reason no one used them at your track back then was probably because they only ran 6 cell packs with 27 turn race legal set ups.
  14. well on my car it can be done.i meant i wouldnt recommend doing it unless one knows what they are doing.that is if they had the same car.on your car i dont know i would have to look at it but im sure you know what you are talking about and ill take your word for it.i know you pretty much cant put one on every car
  15. redheat

redheat Member

No we run mods 10x2 LightSpeed motors Check Point motors , funny thing is they all have vents, strange isnt it, RED
  16. Number 2 (and Rick...you are disqualified)

well i have an Orion and it has vents.but you say heat sinks cover them and you are wrong as usual.the heat sinks have cut outs as well.

and light speed motors are cheese machine wound motors
  17. redheat

redheat Member

It's LightSpeed and there hand wound motors made in the USA know were that is ? RED
  18. im sure you thought that motor would make your car the speed of light.lol
  19. scott555

scott555 Member

so fare my favorite motors are lightspeed and Birdman, light speed motors are made near me in the dallas texas area, and there all hand wound.
  20. redheat

redheat Member

Right on, RED
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.