most "powerful" loc?

S 3/6

I wonder, what is basically the most powerful loc in use today? is it the IORE at 2x7000 hp or would it be more fairly the Br182 at 9500 hp, since the IORE is infact two units? Though I would guess the IORE has more traction per unit do to the ballast weight.

Thanks

S 3/6

Well, I guess all of them... I think that the weight of a loc, will affect it's starting tractive effort so a 3000hp Diesel Electric that weighs 250 tons has more starting traction that a 9500 200 ton electric... but surely there is an undisputed king, no?

Maybe the EMD 6000? or IORE?

ross31r

i would have said in diesel terms the two 6,000hp AC would be the most powerful diesels around.

In electirc terms there are quite a few 9,000hp + types in Europe.

Tractive effort is a factor of how much of its power the unit can put down on the rails - most electrics are inherently more powerful at start than deisels as they have less power transmission losses

RailRon

If you count double units as one locomotive, I think that the IORE is the most powerful at the moment. Each of the units has 7200 hp, a total of 14400!

The engines run on the North Swedish iron ore lines Kiruna - Narvik and Kiruna - Lulea. They are really impressive beasts, as you see below.

Ron

Attachments

• IORE 102.jpg
    IORE 102.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 85

RailRon

BUT...

As it seems, at the moment we have the most powerful electric loco (single units!) here in Switzerland. The funny thing is, that these 'Re 6/6' engines are already almost oldtimers! They were built 1972-1980, but they are still going strong, pulling freight and heavy passenger trains across the Alpine lines (Gotthard and Simplon line).

With 10600hp they are the most powerful electric engines I have found so far. :thumb:

S3/6, you mentioned the German BR 182, also called the 'Taurus'. Beautiful locos, but they have 'only' 9500hp and are still topped by another Swiss engine, the Re 465 of the 'Berne Lötschberg Simplon' line (9520 hp). :D

Ron

Attachments

• Re 6-6.jpg
    Re 6-6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 91