Most Challenging Aspect of the Hobby

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
For Me I would have to say Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing. I have yet to do any of that sort but it intimidates me for the fear that it wont look right after i finish it and going along with that my perfectionism would kick in and i wouldnt be satisfied because something that is supposed to be 3' is 4' or vice versa.:eek:ops:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I was going to say wiring, but I think I'm actually getting a handle on that now.

I think for me the biggest challenge (and time-waster) has got to be deciding what to do and then just doing it! I see people like Robin who just seem to go right ahead and get a ton done will I'm still dithering. I have re-thought and re-done my track (half of it that is), and benchwork and I'm still fooling around with how the rest of the benchwork should go. I have spent hours online looking at photos of buildings just to try to come up with a colour for the window frames on my latest $10 kit. I have re-arranged my buildings at least 50 times, repainted others, etc, etc. I have another kitbash sitting unfinished because I can't decide what kind of storefront I want it to be.

Maybe if I had the room to build everything I'd like to have I wouldn't be plagued with these decisions. So I guess what I really I need is more room.

But then if I had more room I'd need to fill it with more stuff so I'd need a lot more time and money.....

uh... what was the question again?

Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I guessI'd have to say wiring is #1...I've wired several layouts now, & I guess I've got the basics down, but I have never learned to enjoy it...it's always a chore...
Another HUGE problem I have (& I've noticed some others here alluding to it) is being ableto focus on a project, & see it through to some degree of completion...

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

...4-Talent ...

I guess I must be the first to notice Ty trying to pull a fast one on us. Ha. Lack of talent indeed.

My list would be as follows...

1.) - TIME!!
2.) - The lack of 3D visualization with respect to trackplanning.
3.) - Completion of ongoing projects.
4.) - And, as Val mentioned, the tendency to stand haplessly in front of the layout...dithering.
5.) - On top of that, I'm still having trouble making the transition from HO to On30. The rolling stock is only marginally larger than HO, yet the O scale structures are 4 times larger.

I'm with Val also. I spend a lot of time staring, poking, and paging through the Walthers catalog, which I should have memorized by now.
I hate wiring, but have it figured out, so it's not an issue.
My current stumbling block is the scenery base. I have the WS plaster cloth, and newspaper, and masking tape...yet I can't get motivated to slap some down and give it a shot. Kinda silly, since I'll butcher any structure kit into a kitbash and not blink. :rolleyes:
The other challenge is resistance to being a rivet counter. I have to keep reminding myself nobody is going to notice any of this stuff (especially in N) but me. :eek:ops:

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Well, this may not be what you had in mind but for me, and others that i've observed, it's getting a bunch of model reailroaders to play together civilly. Something about the "my empire" thing really can get in the way when we guys (for purposes of this post the term "guys" means gals too, as in "youse guys") get together in clubs to "play with our trains"

Sheesh!

Beyond that, electricity is my big bugaboo. Still occasionally refer to the Common post on an AC transformer as negative. That about says it all doesn't it?

Regards,
Ted

Originally posted by ddavidv

My current stumbling block is the scenery base. I have the WS plaster cloth, and newspaper, and masking tape...yet I can't get motivated to slap some down and give it a shot. Kinda silly, since I'll butcher any structure kit into a kitbash and not blink.

Hey, tried it today for the first time. It's fun! :) Have to admit I'm pretty pleased with the results, though will need a skim coat or two of Hydrocal to really seal it up. I have no fear now! Time to add reverse loops all over the layout! I can do anything! :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by ddavidv

Hey, tried it today for the first time. It's fun! :) Have to admit I'm pretty pleased with the results, though will need a skim coat or two of Hydrocal to really seal it up. I have no fear now! Time to add reverse loops all over the layout! I can do anything! :D

"Gleefully modelling the WM with no regard for prototype since
2003"

That's the spirit...ain't nothing a saber saw can't fix
:thumb:

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Scenery is not a problem for me - I love it. However, electronics and track plans are a challenge for me. I sort of glaze over whenever Glen is explaining how to wire something on the layout.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I would have to say that the hardest thing for me is to keep my interest and focus on one project. I start one project and get frusterated and start on another project, get frusterated with that and the cycle keeps going, I have got half of my motive power torn apart just lying around because I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how they go back together. So like I said, FOCUS would have to be my weak point right now.

Freelancer